TransHealth Series: Healthcare Provider Panel Discussion
You must login or create an account before enrolling in this online educational activity.
Once you're logged in, please select the "ENTER" button and submit the questions to complete your registration. Upon enrollment in this course, you will receive a confirmation email with instructions for completing your registration through Zoom.
2020 TransHealth Series
This year's DMU TransHealth Series is 100% virtual! Each speaker has pre-recorded an online educational activity to be viewed prior to participation in this live panel discussion. During this panel, the healthcare providers all come together to answer your questions pertaining to these pre-recorded activities. View each of the sessions below, and then join us live on Thursday, November 19 from 2 - 3 pm Central Time to ask your questions!
- Care of Gender Non-Conforming Children and Adolescents
- Engendering Support: The Power of Family for Transgender Youth
- Gender-Affirming Genital Surgery
Bonus Session! The 2020 TransHealth Series will also feature a panel of community members that will talk about their personal stories and provide insights as to how healthcare providers can provide inclusive, patient-centered care. Join us on Friday, November 20 from 2 - 4 pm Central Time. Please note: registering for the healthcare provider panel discussion will also register you for the community member panel discussion.
Click here for information regarding the community member panel discussion.
DMU faculty, staff, students, residents, and the medical community.
- Describe how a healthcare professional can provide competent care for transgender individuals.
- Discuss transgender experiences from the healthcare provider perspective.
Katie Larson Ode, MD
Clinical Associate Professor of Pediatrics and Endocrinology, University of Iowa Stead Family Children's Hospital
Amy M. Pearlman, MD
Clinical Assistant Professor of Urology and Men's Health Program Director, University of Iowa
Peter T. Daniolos, MD
Dr. Daniolos is a Clinical Professor in Child and Adolescent Psychiatry at The University of Iowa Children’s Hospital, where he serves as the Training Director of the Child and Adolescent Psychiatry Residency Training Program, and provides clinical evaluations as part of the University of Iowa Autism Center’s Child and Adolescent Psychiatry team. He also runs the Gender Evaluation Program (GEP) in Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, working in close collaboration with the University of Iowa Hospital and Clinics’ LGBT Clinic at Iowa River Landing.
Prior to moving to Iowa, he served as the Training Director for the Child and Adolescent Psychiatry fellowship at Children’s National Medical Center/ The George Washington University Center, and the medical director of the Center for Autism Spectrum Disorders, where he worked with a multidisciplinary team engaged in the diagnostic evaluation and treatment of autism spectrum youth.
He attended the University of Denver as an undergraduate, followed by medical school in his home state at the University of North Dakota. He then did his Psychiatry residency at Duke, followed by his Child and Adolescent Psychiatry fellowship at Harvard/The Cambridge Hospital.
- MD: This activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the accreditation requirements and policies of the Iowa Medical Society (IMS). Des Moines University (DMU) is accredited by the IMS to provide continuing medical education for physicians. DMU designates this live activity for 1.0 AMA PRA Category1 Credit(s)™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
- DO: Des Moines University (DMU) is accredited by the American Osteopathic Association (AOA) to provide osteopathic continuing medical education for physicians. DMU designates this program for a maximum of 1.0 AOA Category 2-A credits and will report CME and specialty credits commensurate with the extent of the physician’s participation in this activity.
- Nurse: Des Moines University is Iowa Board of Nursing approved provider #112. This live activity has been reviewed and approved for 1.0 continuing education contact hour(s). No partial credit awarded.
- DPM: Des Moines University (DMU) is approved by the Council on Podiatric Medical Education as a provider of continuing education in podiatric medicine. DMU has approved this activity for a maximum of 1.0 continuing education contact hours.
- Other healthcare providers: This live activity is designated for 1.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™.
No commercial interest company provided financial support for this continuing education activity.
The speaker(s) will disclose if any pharmaceuticals or medical procedures and devices discussed are investigational or unapproved for use by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Determination of educational content and the selection of speakers is the responsibility of the activity director.
Relevant to the content of this educational activity, the following individual(s) have no conflict(s) with commercial interest companies to disclose.
- Jackie Ha, DO'23, planning committee member
- Amanda Hale, DO'23, planning committee member
- Helena Mica, MS, MA, planning committee member
- Amy Pearlman, MD, speaker
- Samantha Schmitz, DO'23, planning committee member
- Meta Williams, DO'23, planning committee member
Relevant to the content of this educational activity, the following individual(s) have a conflict(s) with commercial interest companies to disclose.
- Peter T. Daniolos, MD, speaker, has no financial conflicts but does intend to discuss off-label use of a commercial product.
- Katie Larson Ode, MD, speaker, has no financial conflicts but does intend to discuss off-label use of a commercial product.
The information provided at this activity is for continuing education purposes only and is not meant to substitute for the independent medical judgment of a healthcare provider relative to diagnostic and treatment options of a specific patient’s medical condition. The content of each presentation does not necessarily reflect the views of Des Moines University.
- 1.00 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™
- 1.00 AOA Category 2A
- 1.00 CE Contact Hour(s)
- 1.00 CPME
- 1.00 IBON