These Terms and Conditions of Use are an agreement between you and Des Moines University Continuing Medical Education (DMU CME). Depending upon your role, this could be regarding your action to create a profile, sign up for an activity, participate in an activity, exhibit at an activity, and/or elect to receive marketing information. As well, DMU CME will maintain their accreditation status, sharing information with appropriate accreditation and licensure boards, as needed, to provide course credits. These will be known as “DMU CME Services”.
DMU CME may modify these terms and conditions at any time, and such modifications shall be effective immediately upon posting the modified terms and conditions. You agree to review the agreement periodically to be aware of such modifications, and your use of the DMU CME website constitutes your acceptance of the agreement as it appears at the time of your access or use.
If you choose to use other websites or applications offered by DMU CME or its affiliated entities, you may be asked to enter into additional agreements or authorizations before you can access features or services. If you are not asked to enter into additional or different agreements, these terms will apply. By agreeing to these terms and conditions of use, you authorize Des Moines University and DMU CME and its staff to communicate and provide information to you.
1. Information We Collect and How We Use It
- Information you provide to create a profile and pay for products and services. This is all the personal and professional information that is needed to interact with DMU CME Services. We use this information to verify your identity and your eligibility to receive DMU CME Services. We also use certain items of this information, such as your email and answers to password verification questions to validate your identity if you need to recover your account password. If you choose to purchase products or services from us we also collect information necessary to process your payment and use it to process your payment transaction.
- Information we collect automatically. The Web server automatically collects the Internet Protocol (IP) address of the computers that access our site. An IP address is a number that is assigned to your computer when you access the Internet. We use this information to understand how our site is being used and how we can better serve visitors. We also collect information about visitors to our site using "cookies" (see definition on Webopedia) and similar technology such as Web beacons, Web bugs, pixel tags, and so on. We use this technology to recognize a repeat visitor and offer the visitor a set of services or information requested in a previous visit. We use session cookies to track a visitor's path through our site during a visit, to help us understand how people use our site.
- Your browser or device may include “Do Not Track” functionality. At this time, we do not respond to browser “Do Not Track” signals.
2. How We May Share the Information You Provide
- If you choose to use DMU CME Services to access services provided by DMU CME or any of its affiliated entities, we may share the information we collect with the entity providing their services for the purposes of verifying your identity, your eligibility to access the services, and to provide the affiliates’ services.
- We may also share the information you provide to us and that we collect about you to those that we have engaged in a joint partnership agreement or accreditation/licensure for purposes of providing DMU CME Services.
- We may share your personal information with third parties who we have engaged to help us provide the services. In each case, we will ensure that these third parties have agreed to safeguard your data.
3. Protecting Children's Privacy
We are committed to protecting children’s privacy on the Internet. This site is intended for adults age 16 and older. We do not knowingly collect personal information from children. If you are under the age of 16, please have a parent/guardian contact us at email@example.com.
4. Data Retention
We will retain your information for as long as your account is active or as needed to provide you services, comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, and enforce our agreements.
5. Data Processed and Stored in United States
You understand and agree that the information provided by you is transmitted to, processed in, and stored in the United States.
6. Protecting Your Privacy Rights
We do not share your personal information with unaffiliated third parties for their direct marketing purposes. We may, however, share your personal data with any Des Moines University entity or affiliate.
7. Users in the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland
If you are a resident of the EEA or Switzerland, the following information applies with respect to personal data collected through your use of our site.
- Purposes of processing and legal basis for processing: As explained above, we process personal data in various ways depending upon your use of the services. We process personal data on the following legal bases: (1) with your consent; (2) as necessary to provide the services; and (3) as necessary for our legitimate interests in providing the services where those interests do not override your fundamental rights and freedom related to data privacy.
- Transfers: Personal data we collect may be transferred to, and stored and processed in, the United States or any other country in which we or our affiliates or processors maintain facilities. We will ensure that transfers of personal data to a country or an international organization outside the EEA or Switzerland are subject to appropriate safeguards.
- Your Rights: You are entitled to the rights under Chapter III of the EU General Data Protection Regulation or Section 2 of the Swiss Federal Act on Data Protection with respect to the processing of your personal data, which include the right to access and rectify and to request erasure of personal data. In order to verify your identity, we may require you to provide us with personal information prior to accessing any records containing information about you.
8. Complaint Process
If you have a complaint or problem, or if you believe your privacy rights have been violated, you may email us by clicking the "Contact Us" link. Please indicate the following reason for contacting us: General Question. A member of the DMU CME team will respond within two (2) business days. If you don't receive adequate resolution of a privacy-related problem, you may write to the Des Moines University Chief Compliance Officer.
9. Update Process
The security of any data you submit via this site is very important to us. This site uses encryption technology, and we constantly review our security practices to help ensure that your data is maintained securely. However, no system can perfectly guard against risks of intentional intrusion or inadvertent disclosure of information sent to us. Moreover, when you transmit information via the internet, your information will be transmitted over a medium that is beyond our control, and therefore the security of the transmission may be compromised before it reaches us. Accordingly, Des Moines University makes no guarantee as to confidentiality or security. In addition, you herby expressly and solely assume the risk of any unauthorized disclosure or intentional intrusion, or of any delay, failure, interruption or corruption of data or other information transmitted in connection with your use of the online services. Your user name and password should be kept confidential. Failure to do so may also compromise the confidentiality of your information.
You understand and agree that the DMU CME Services are provided on an “as in” basis. Des Moines University does not make any express or implied warranties, representations or endorsements whatsoever (including without limitation warranties of title or noninfringement, or the implied warranties of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose) with regard to the service or any merchandise, information or service provided in connection with the DMU CME Services account. In addition, Des Moines University does not guarantee that the use of the DMU CME Services will be free from technological difficulties including, but not limited to, unavailability of information, downtime, service disruptions, viruses or worms, and you understand that you are responsible for implementing sufficient procedures and checkpoints to satisfy your particular requirements for accuracy of data input and output.
LIMITATION OF LIABILITY
The use of the DMU CME Services is entirely at your own risk, and in no even shall Des Moines University be liable for any direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, special, exemplary, punitive, or any other monetary or other damages, fees, fines, penalties, or liability arising out of or relating in any way to the DMU CME Services, or sites accessed through the DMU CME Services, and/or content or information provided herein. You sole and exclusive remedy for dissatisfaction with the service is to stop using the service.
- The information you provide in connection with DMU CME Services is true and accurate and pertains to yourself;
- You will not use the DMU CME Services for any illegal purpose, or in a manner which violates local, state, national or international laws;
- You will not use the DMU CME Services to post or transmit material that may infringe or violate any rights of any party or is unlawful, obscene, defamatory, threatening, harassing, abusive, slanderous, hateful or embarrassing to any other person or entity;
- You will not use the DMU CME Services to attempt to disable, "hack" or otherwise interfere with the proper functioning of this website.
DISCONTINUANCE OF SERVICE
DMU CME Services are being provided by Des Moines University as a courtesy to you, and Des Moines University reserves the right to terminate modify, discontinue, temporarily or permanently, the DMU CME Services at any time, with or without notice. In addition, Des Moines University may terminate, modify or limit any or all of the DMU CME Services if you violate the terms of this Agreement or any other agreement with Des Moines University, you violate any law, or if we determine, for any other reason, that it is no longer appropriate for you to use those DMU CME Services.
COPYRIGHT AND TRADEMARK INFORMATION
The marks "Des Moines University," "DMU," and the Des Moines University logo are trademarks and/or service marks of Des Moines University. The content and design of websites operated by Des Moines University and its affiliates are protected by U.S. and international copyright laws. You may not copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, display, transmit, or frame any of these materials without prior written consent from Des Moines University, except that you may view, download, display and print a single copy of these materials on a single computer for personal, noncommercial use only, so long as: (1) you do not alter or modify the materials in any way; (2) you include all applicable notices and disclaimers (including copyright notices); and (3) you do not use the materials in a way that suggests an association with Des Moines University or an affiliated Des Moines University entity. You understand and agree that title to these materials shall not pass to you or any other user.
You agree that any dispute or claim (including personal injury claims) related to your use of DMU CME Services is subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the state of Iowa, and that any such dispute shall be governed by the laws of the state of Iowa. This agreement also applies to anyone claiming on your behalf.
Updated: June 27, 2019