Transgender Mental Health
Two attendance options:
Do you have something specific you would like to learn from this activity? You're able to submit a question to the speaker using the link below!
Healthcare professionals and the general public.
Information regarding the other presentations can be found below.
- April 2 - Transitioning in Childhood
- April 3 - Gender Confirmation Surgery: State of the Art
- April 4 - Preventative Care and Health Maintenance on Hormone Therapy
- April 4 - TransHealth Panel
- Identify factors that contribute to mental health issues in the transgender community.
- Recognize the major factors that impact positive and negative mental health in transgender individuals.
- Distinguish the different types of trauma (psychological, physical, spiritual, social/cultural) that some transgender individuals experience.
Des Moines University is located on a 22-acre campus in the heart of Des Moines, Iowa. Just west of downtown on Grand Avenue, the University is located in one of Des Moines’ most prestigious neighborhoods. The campus is in a historic neighborhood filled with tree-lined streets and gracious older homes and businesses. Its central location makes it easy to access the rest of the city and outlying communities. The campus is close to the Des Moines International Airport, located on the bus line and just blocks from local shopping and downtown Des Moines.
Joby Holcomb, LMHC CDAC received his Master’s degree from Drake University and has worked with children, adolescents, adults, couples and families in a variety of settings including psychiatric medical institutes for children, outpatient substance abuse treatment programs, community mental health centers and private practice mental health.
Mr. Holcomb is currently in private practice and was recently appointed as a special consultant for LGBTQ mental health in the state of Iowa. He conducts trainings across the state and region for organizations, schools, community mental health agencies and healthcare facilities on topics and issues impacting the LGBTQ community. He also provides supervision and consultation for students currently working on completing their master’s degree or working towards independent licensure.
Mr. Holcomb's specialty areas include emerging substance use trends, transgender mental health, LGBTQ therapeutic best practices, trauma-informed care for LGBTQ individuals, gender dysphoria and body dysmorphic disorders. He currently serves on the One Iowa board of directors, is a member of the LGBT Advisory Council for the Des Moines Civil and Human Rights Commission, and participates on an advisory board for New Beginnings Counseling Service.
Joby Holcomb has no conflicts with commercial interest companies to disclose relevant to the content of this educational activity.
Continuing Education Credit
- DO: Des Moines University (DMU) is accredited by the American Osteopathic Association (AOA) to provide osteopathic continuing medical education for physicians. DMU designates this program for a maximum of 1.0 AOA Category 2-A credits and will report CME and specialty credits commensurate with the extent of the physician’s participation in this activity.
- MD: This activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the accreditation requirements and policies of the Iowa Medical Society (IMS). Des Moines University (DMU) is accredited by the IMS to provide continuing medical education for physicians. DMU designates this live activity for 1.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
- DPM: Des Moines University (DMU) is approved by the Council on Podiatric Medical Education as a provider of continuing education in podiatric medicine. DMU has approved this activity for a maximum of 1.0 continuing education contact hours.
- Nurse: Des Moines University is Iowa Board of Nursing approved provider #112. This live activity has been reviewed and approved for 1.0 continuing education contact hour(s). No partial credit awarded.
- Other healthcare providers: This live activity is designated for 1.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™.
No commercial interest provided financial support for this continuing education activity.
Everyone in a position to control the content of this educational activity will disclose to the CME provider and to attendees all relevant financial relationships with any commercial interest. They will also disclose if any pharmaceuticals or medical procedures and devices discussed are investigational or unapproved for use by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Determination of educational content and the selection of speakers is the responsibility of the activity director. Firms providing financial support did not have input in these areas. The information provided at this CME activity is for continuing education purposes only and is not meant to substitute for the independent medical judgment of a healthcare provider relative to diagnostic and treatment options of a specific patient’s medical condition. The content of each presentation does not necessarily reflect the views of Des Moines University.
- 1.00 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™
- 1.00 AOA Category 2A
- 1.00 CE Contact Hour(s)
- 1.00 CPME
- 1.00 IBON