Transitioning in Childhood
Two attendance options:
Do you have something specific you would like to learn from this activity? You're able to submit a question to the speaker using the link below!
Healthcare professionals and the general public.
Information regarding the other presentations can be found below.
- April 1 - Transgender Mental Health
- April 3 - Gender Confirmation Surgery: State of the Art
- April 4 - Preventative Care and Health Maintenance on Hormone Therapy
- April 4 - TransHealth Panel
- List the ways the pediatric population is able to transition medically and socially.
- Recognize how parents of a transgender or gender non-conforming individual can assist their child with transitioning.
- Describe the barriers related to transitioning in childhood.
Des Moines University is located on a 22-acre campus in the heart of Des Moines, Iowa. Just west of downtown on Grand Avenue, the University is located in one of Des Moines’ most prestigious neighborhoods. The campus is in a historic neighborhood filled with tree-lined streets and gracious older homes and businesses. Its central location makes it easy to access the rest of the city and outlying communities. The campus is close to the Des Moines International Airport, located on the bus line and just blocks from local shopping and downtown Des Moines.
Katie Larson Ode, MD is a faculty pediatric endocrinologist at the University of Iowa. She specializes in working with individuals who are gender non-conforming or transgender from birth to 18 years of age. She received her medical degree from the University of Wisconsin and was trained as a pediatrician at the prestigious Case Western University in Cleveland, Ohio. Additionally, she conducts research in various fields within endocrinology, including infant growth and Cystic Fibrosis related Diabetes Mellitus.
Dr. Larson Ode indicates she has no financial conflicts with commercial interest companies but does intend to discuss off-label use of products and/or devices and will inform learners of such.
Continuing Education Credit
- DO: Des Moines University (DMU) is accredited by the American Osteopathic Association (AOA) to provide osteopathic continuing medical education for physicians. DMU designates this program for a maximum of 1.0 AOA Category 2-A credits and will report CME and specialty credits commensurate with the extent of the physician’s participation in this activity.
- MD: This activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the accreditation requirements and policies of the Iowa Medical Society (IMS). Des Moines University (DMU) is accredited by the IMS to provide continuing medical education for physicians. DMU designates this live activity for 1.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
- Nurse: Des Moines University is Iowa Board of Nursing approved provider #112. This live activity has been reviewed and approved for 1.0 continuing education contact hour(s). No partial credit awarded.
- Other healthcare providers: This live activity is designated for 1.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™.
No commercial interest provided financial support for this continuing education activity.
Everyone in a position to control the content of this educational activity will disclose to the CME provider and to attendees all relevant financial relationships with any commercial interest. They will also disclose if any pharmaceuticals or medical procedures and devices discussed are investigational or unapproved for use by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Determination of educational content and the selection of speakers is the responsibility of the activity director. Firms providing financial support did not have input in these areas. The information provided at this CME activity is for continuing education purposes only and is not meant to substitute for the independent medical judgment of a healthcare provider relative to diagnostic and treatment options of a specific patient’s medical condition. The content of each presentation does not necessarily reflect the views of Des Moines University.
- 1.00 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™
- 1.00 AOA Category 2A
- 1.00 CE Contact Hour(s)
- 1.00 IBON