Database Showcase: Scopus
Once you're logged in, click the green "ENTER" button found in the Course Summary box to the right. Your registration will then be confirmed.
This course is part of the Des Moines University Library Nerdfest Series.
Des Moines University faculty and staff.
This class will introduce you to the key elements you & your students need to know to help you accomplish your clinical, research, and educational goals.
Scopus is an interdisciplinary citation database of peer‐reviewed literature, featuring smart tools to track, analyze, and visualize research. Scopus includes Medline as well as most of the references in Embase.
By the end of class participants will be able to independently explain key concepts and/or perform the following skills as indicated by the observation of the instructor and student’s self‐assessment:
- Define the difference between Scopus, Medline/PubMed and EMBASE.
- Summarize how search strategy techniques are different in PubMed versus Ebsco, Proquest, and Scopus.
- Summarize search strategies for authors, subjects, affiliations/institutions, and cited references.
- Identify how to filter search results based on evidence based practice principles such as document type, keyword, dates, language, and country.
- Practice using My List and My Scopus to save your search results and search strategies.
- Demonstrate how to get a full text article.
- Demonstrate how to export references to RefWorks.
- Identify & define Medeley and Altmetric, practice how to utilize interlibrary loan, and explain SciVal.
- Identify how to locate further training materials from the DMU library at: http://lib.dmu.edu/db/scopus.
Rebecca Hines, MLIS
Education Librarian, Des Moines University
Ms. Hines indicated she has no financial relationships to disclose relevant to the content of this CME activity.
ACRL Information Literacy
- Standard Two: The information literate student accesses needed information effectively and efficiently (2, 3, 4, 5)
Fundamental Osteopathic Medical Competency Domains: Guidelines for Osteopathic Medical Licensure and the Practice of Osteopathic Medicine
- Application of Knowledge for Osteopathic Medical Practice (3.1.3, 3.1.4, 3.2.2, 3.2.3)
- Practice‐Based Learning and Improvement in Osteopathic Medicine (4.2.2, 4.3.1, 4.3.2, 4.3.3, 4.7.1)
- Professionalism in the Practice of Osteopathic Medicine (6.5.1, 6.5.4, 6.5.6)
Curricular Guide for Podiatric Medical Education ‐ AACPM Council of Faculties 2014 Edition
- Epidemiology (13)
National Center for Healthcare Leadership (NCHL) Health Leadership Competency Model
- Information Seeking (L11.4, L11.5)
The American Physical Therapy Association 2014 Strategic Plan
- Professional Excellence Goal 3.c
The National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants: Competencies for the Physician Assistant Profession
- Practice‐Based Learning and Improvement
Association of Schools and Programs of Public Health: MPH Core Competency Model
- Communication and Informatics
Continuing Education Credit
- DPM: Des Moines University (DMU) is approved by the Council on Podiatric Medical Education as a provider of continuing education in podiatric medicine. DMU has approved this live activity for a maximum of 1.0 continuing education contact hour(s).
- MD: This activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the accreditation requirements and policies of the Iowa Medical Society (IMS). Des Moines University (DMU) is accredited by the IMS to provide continuing medical education for physicians. DMU designates this live activity for 1.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
- DO: Des Moines University (DMU) is accredited by the American Osteopathic Association (AOA) and approves this live activity for 1.0 AOA Category 1-A CME credit(s).
- Other: This live activity is designated for 1.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™.
No commercial interest provided financial support for this continuing education activity.
Can't get enough Nerd?!
Library Appy Hour - 3 Friday's in July from 2-3pm in SEC #281
- 0.50 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™
- 0.50 AOA Category 1A
- 0.50 CE Contact Hour(s)
- 0.50 CPME