Elder Financial Abuse: Signs and Steps to Prevent
Two attendance options:
Healthcare professionals and the general public.
The Embrace Aging series provide practical information on how to handle the various life issues associated with Alzheimer’s Disease and other dementias. This program is brought to you by Calvin Community Foundation and Des Moines University with special thanks to the Alzheimer’s Association, Arbor Springs, Broadlawns Geriatric and Memory Center, The Hale Group, Syverson Strege & Company, and Des Moines Pastoral Counseling Center.
Information regarding the other presentations can be found below.
- February 20 - Alzheimer's Disease: A National/Iowa Perspective
- February 27 - Healthy Aging and Brain Wellness
- March 6 - Palliative Care
- March 13 - Patient and Family Perspective
- March 27 - The Emotional Challenge
- April 18 - The Importance of Storytelling
- Recognize signs of financial elder abuse.
- Develop strategies to minimize risk of financial malfeasance.
David Strege, CFP®, CFA, CKA®
David Strege is a Senior Fee-Only Planner at Syverson Strege and Company in West Des Moines, Iowa and has been providing guidance to individuals about personal finances since 1981.
David earned a B.S.B.A. in Finance with a concentration in personal financial planning from Drake University. He earned his CFP® certification in 1982 and in 2008 served as Chairman of the Board of Directors for the U.S.A. Certified Financial Planner Board of Standards Inc. In 1987 he received the Chartered Financial Analyst® certification to better assist clients with their investment portfolios. He earned the Certified Kingdom Advisor®? designation in 2017.
He continues to improve his professional knowledge through attending conferences put on by the Financial Planning Association, Chartered Financial Analyst Institute and the National Association of Personal Financial Advisers, which is the industry association of fee-only financial planners.
Personal financial planning has been his only career. He has served the profession by being on the National Boards of the Financial Planning Association and Certified Financial Planners Board of Standards. He was Chairman of the CFP Board in 2008 where he traveled to other CFP countries to make sure the standards were consistent worldwide. David spoke at the FPA of Singapore's conference, the CFP Professional International Forum in Christchurch, New Zealand and China's first Financial Planning Conference in Shanghai.
In 1997, the central Iowa Chapter of IAFP presented him the Ric Jorgenson Award. This prestigious award is presented annually to the financial planning professional who exemplifies excellence and high standards in the field of financial planning and community service. Worth magazine has listed David as one of the top financial advisors in the United States. This National recognition comes from David being part of a team that won two national awards for financial planning case studies.
Currently, David serves on the Board of Directors for the National Endowment for Financial Education® (NEFE®) where he is in his second three-year term.
Relevant to the content of this CME activity, Mr. Strege indicated he has no financial relationships with commercial interests to disclose.
Des Moines University is located on a 22-acre campus in the heart of Des Moines, Iowa. Just west of downtown on Grand Avenue, the University is located in one of Des Moines’ most prestigious neighborhoods. The campus is in a historic neighborhood filled with tree-lined streets and gracious older homes and businesses. Its central location makes it easy to access the rest of the city and outlying communities. The campus is close to the Des Moines International Airport, located on the bus line and just blocks from local shopping and downtown Des Moines.
Continuing Education Credit
- DPM: Des Moines University (DMU) is approved by the Council on Podiatric Medical Education as a provider of continuing education in podiatric medicine. DMU has approved this activity for a maximum of 1.0 continuing education contact hour(s).
- DO: Des Moines University (DMU) is accredited by the American Osteopathic Association (AOA) to provide osteopathic continuing medical education for physicians. DMU designates this program for a maximum of 1.0 AOA Category 2-A credits and will report CME and specialty credits commensurate with the extent of the physician’s participation in this activity.
- MD: This activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the accreditation requirements and policies of the Iowa Medical Society (IMS). Des Moines University (DMU) is accredited by the IMS to provide continuing medical education for physicians. DMU designates this live activity for 1.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
- Nurse: Des Moines University is Iowa Board of Nursing approved provider #112. This live activity has been reviewed and approved for 1.0 continuing education contact hour(s). No partial credit awarded.
- Other healthcare providers: This live activity is designated for 1.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™.
Everyone in a position to control the content of this educational activity will disclose to the CME provider and to attendees all relevant financial relationships with any commercial interest. They will also disclose if any pharmaceuticals or medical procedures and devices discussed are investigational or unapproved for use by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Determination of educational content and the selection of speakers is the responsibility of the activity director. Firms providing financial support did not have input in these areas. The information provided at this CME activity is for continuing education purposes only and is not meant to substitute for the independent medical judgment of a healthcare provider relative to diagnostic and treatment options of a specific patient’s medical condition. The content of each presentation does not necessarily reflect the views of Des Moines University.
No commercial interest provided financial support for this continuing education activity.
- 1.00 AOA Category 2A
- 1.00 CPME
- 1.00 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™
- 1.00 IBON
- 1.00 CE Contact Hour(s)