DMU Grand Rounds - Military Sexual Trauma: What Civilian Providers Need to Know
Two attendance options:
DMU faculty, staff, students, residents, and the medical community.
- Hear from a sexual assault survivor.
- Review the prevalence of sexual assaults in the military.
According to the Fiscal Year 2022 Annual Report on Sexual Assault in the Military, there were 7,378 reports of sexual assault against service members in 2022. This is a 1% increase from 2021. In 2021, a confidential survey estimated that 35,900 active-duty service members experienced unwanted sexual contact. Of those, 19,300 were women and 16,600 were men. The rate of sexual assault and rape increased by almost 40% from 2016 to 2018. Sexual assault reports increased in the Air Force and Navy but decreased in the Army. The Marine Corps had the highest percentage of women experiencing unwanted sexual contact, with 13.4%. The reporting rate has fallen significantly since the last survey in 2018, when the reporting rate was 30%. In 2016, only 13% of cases where the military could take action were prosecuted.
Sexual Assault Survivor
Kendy Hakeman, LISW, CADC
Military Sexual Trauma Coordinator, Department of Veterans Affairs, Central Iowa Health Care System
Session proposals are now being accepted for the DMU Grand Rounds series! Have you encountered an interesting clinical case, seen a patient with a unique history, condition, and/or treatment protocol, or been involved with interprofessional management that improves patient care and treatment outcomes? If so, you're invited to help build the series by submitting a session proposal! In addition to the rare and unique, cases of more common conditions are also acceptable, and proposals from external members of the broader healthcare community are welcomed and encouraged. Please click the button below to learn more about the series and access the submission form.
Des Moines University’s new campus, located at 8025 Grand Avenue in West Des Moines, Iowa, offers an impressive 88 acres, providing ample space for growth and innovation. State-of-the-art facilities cater to the evolving needs of students and faculty, fostering an exceptional learning and research environment. The campus offers a perfect blend of academic excellence and access to the thriving community of Greater Des Moines, including cultural attractions, dining, and entertainment options.
- MD: This activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the accreditation requirements and policies of the Iowa Medical Society (IMS). Des Moines University (DMU) is accredited by the IMS to provide continuing medical education for physicians. DMU designates this live activity for 1.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
- DO: Des Moines University (DMU) is accredited by the American Osteopathic Association (AOA) to provide osteopathic continuing medical education for physicians. DMU designates this activity for a maximum of 1.0 AOA Category 2-A credits and will report CME and specialty credits commensurate with the extent of the physician’s participation in this activity.
- DPM: Des Moines University (DMU) is approved by the Council on Podiatric Medical Education as a provider of continuing education in podiatric medicine. DMU has approved this activity for a maximum of 1.0 continuing education contact hours.
- Nurse: Des Moines University is Iowa Board of Nursing approved provider #112. This live activity has been reviewed and approved for 1.0 continuing education contact hour(s). No partial credit awarded.
- Other healthcare providers: This live activity is designated for 1.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™.
No ineligible company provided financial support for this continuing education activity.
The speaker(s) will disclose if any pharmaceuticals, medical procedures, and devices discussed are investigational or unapproved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). The determination of educational content and the selection of speakers is the responsibility of the activity director.
Relevant to the content of this educational activity, the following individual(s) have no conflict(s) with ineligible companies to disclose.
The information provided at this activity is for continuing education purposes only. It is not meant to substitute for the independent medical judgment of a healthcare provider relative to diagnostic and treatment options of a specific patient’s medical condition. The content of each presentation does not necessarily reflect the views of Des Moines University.
- 1.00 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™
- 1.00 AOA Category 2A
- 1.00 CE Contact Hour(s)
- 1.00 CPME
- 1.00 IBON
There is no cost to attend, and all interested individuals are invited to participate.
Two attendance options:
- Des Moines University - No registration is necessary to attend on-site.
- Online - Register through Zoom.
If you're a student, do not register using your @student.dmu.edu email address. Zoom will reject the registration email confirmation. Please use your @dmu.edu email address.