Journal Impact Factors
Once you're logged in, click the green "ENTER" button found in the Course Summary box to the right. Your registration will then be confirmed.
This course is part of the Des Moines University Library Nerdfest Series.
Des Moines University faculty and staff.
Journal metrics attempt to provide context for the scientific importance, or relevance of a journal. This thirty-minute class will review the resources available to determine the impact factor of a journal title. Databases reviewed as part of this class include:
- Journal Citation Reports
- CiteScore / Scopus
- Eigenfactor Journal Ranking
- Scimago Journal and Country Rank
By the end of class participants will be able to independently explain key concepts and/or perform the following skills as indicated by the observation of the instructor and student’s self-assessment:
- Define journal metrics in the context of Journal impact factors: SJR, IPP, SNIP, & H Index
- Demonstrate how to build an effective search for specific journal titles or for journals within a subject area
- Demonstrate how to compare for journals within a subject area
- Identify how to locate further training from the DMU library (http://lib.dmu.edu/su/journalmetrics)
Rebecca Hines, MLIS
Education Librarian, Des Moines University
Ms. Hines indicated she has no financial relationships to disclose relevant to the content of this CME activity.
Continuing Education Credit
- DPM: Des Moines University (DMU) is approved by the Council on Podiatric Medical Education as a provider of continuing education in podiatric medicine. DMU has approved this live activity for a maximum of 0.5 continuing education contact hour(s).
- MD: This activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the accreditation requirements and policies of the Iowa Medical Society (IMS). Des Moines University (DMU) is accredited by the IMS to provide continuing medical education for physicians. DMU designates this live activity for 0.5 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
- DO: Des Moines University (DMU) is accredited by the American Osteopathic Association (AOA) to provide osteopathic continuing medical education for physicians. DMU designates this program for a maximum of 0.5 AOA Category 1-A credits and will report CME and specialty credits commensurate with the extent of the physician’s participation in this activity.
- Other: This live activity is designated for 0.5 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™.
No commercial interest provided financial support for this continuing education activity.
- 0.50 AOA Category 1A
- 0.50 CPME
- 0.50 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™
- 0.50 CE Contact Hour(s)