4th Annual Geriatric Behavioral Health Conference
You must login or create an account before enrolling in this educational activity.Once you're logged in, please select the "REGISTER" tab to process your payment and complete your registration.
This course is open to all interested healthcare providers.
Learn from national experts about geriatric dementia and other mental health disorders that occur in older adults.
The 4th Annual Geriatric Behavioral Health Conference will include the following topics and more!
- POA/guardianship issues in geriatric behavioral health
- Psychotherapy delivered by primary care providers
- Use of electroconvulsive therapy beyond depression
- Physiologic changes with aging impacting geriatric psych
- Obsessive compulsive disorder in late life
- Spirituality and the brain
- The addicted brain and chemical dependency
- Schizophrenia in long-term care
|Thursday, October 1|
Robert Bender, MD, Broadlawns Medical Center
The Aging Body and Brain
Beyond Medicine: Practical Strategies for Primary Care Providers
Rapid Presentations with Algorithms
Beyond Depression: Use of Electroconvulsive Therapy in Geriatrics
Lunch and Exhibitor Breakout Rooms
Bipolar Disorder in Late Life
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
Movement Disorders in Geriatric Psych (non-CME)
Challenging Cases Panel Discussion
|Friday, October 2|
Spirituality in Geriatric Psychiatry
Substance Use Disorders in the Geriatric Population
Schizophrenia in Long-Term Care
Legal Considerations for Medical Providers Regarding Guardianship and Power of Attorney
|11:15 am||Lunch and Exhibitor Breakout Rooms|
Psychiatric Care of the Aging Veteran
Difficult Patients Panel Discussion
Maham Bangash, DO
Robert Bender, MD
Autumn Brunia, DO
Ahmar Butt, MD
James Chambliss, MD
Michelle Davids, DO
Rakesh Jain, MD, MPH
Janice Landy, MD
Kathleen Laurin, PhD
Kyle LeMasters, DO
Rebecca Lundquist, MD
Sherri McLerran, NCG
Nathan D. Miller, JD
Kiel Morris, DO
Dhrumil Patel, MD
Leonard S. Richards, DO
Douglas Steenblock, MD
Lori Suvalsky, MD
Nickolas Williams, DO
Tyler Zahrli, MD, MA
- MD: This activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the accreditation requirements and policies of the Iowa Medical Society (IMS) through the joint providership of Des Moines University (DMU) and Broadlawns Medical Center. DMU is accredited by IMS to provide continuing medical education for physicians. DMU designates this live activity for a maximum of 11.5 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™. Physicians should only claim credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
- DO: Des Moines University (DMU) is accredited by the American Osteopathic Association (AOA) to provide osteopathic continuing medical education for physicians. DMU designates this program for a maximum of 11.5 AOA Category 1-A credits and will report CME and specialty credits commensurate with the extent of the physician’s participation in this activity.
- Nurse: Des Moines University is Iowa Board of Nursing approved provider #112. This live activity has been reviewed and approved for 11.5 continuing education contact hour(s). Nurses must attend the entire session within each day to receive credit. Partial session credit is prohibited and will be forfeited.
- Other Health Professionals: This live activity is designated for a maximum of 11.5 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™.
No commercial interest company provided financial support for this continuing education activity.
The speaker(s) will disclose if any pharmaceuticals or medical procedures and devices discussed are investigational or unapproved for use by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Determination of educational content and the selection of speakers is the responsibility of the activity director.
Relevant to the content of this educational activity, the following individual(s) have no conflict(s) with commercial interest companies to disclose.
- Robert Bender, MD, activity director, speaker, and planning committee member
- Christina Billings, MPH, CHCP, planning committee member
- Michelle Davids, DO, speaker
- Vanessa Gray, MHA, CMP, CHCP, planning committee member
- Janice Landy, MD, speaker
- Kathleen Laurin, PhD, speaker
- Kyle LeMasters, DO, speaker
- Sherri McLerran, NCG, speaker
- Nathan D. Miller, JD, speaker
- Douglas Steenblock, MD, speaker
- Nickolas Williams, DO, speaker
Relevant to the content of this educational activity, the following individual(s) have a conflict(s) with commercial interest companies to disclose.
- Maham Bangash, DO, speaker, intends to discuss off-label use of a commercial product.
- Autumn Brunia, DO, speaker, intends to discuss off-label use of a commercial product.
- Ahmar Butt, MD, speaker, intends to discuss off-label use of a commercial product.
- James Chambliss, MD, speaker, intends to discuss off-label use of a commercial product.
- Rebecca Lundquist, MD, speaker and planning committee member, intends to discuss off-label use of a commercial product.
- Kiel Morris, DO, speaker, intends to discuss off-label use of a commercial product.
- Dhrumil Patel, MD, speaker, intends to discuss off-label use of a commercial product.
- Leonard S. Richards, MD, speaker, intends to discuss off-label use of a commercial product.
- Lori Suvalsky, MD, speaker, spouse owns share in Pfizer stock.
- Tyler Zahrli, MD, MA, speaker, intends to discuss off-label use of a commercial product.
The information provided at this activity is for continuing education purposes only and is not meant to substitute for the independent medical judgment of a healthcare provider relative to diagnostic and treatment options of a specific patient’s medical condition. The content of each presentation does not necessarily reflect the views of Des Moines University.
- 11.50 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™
- 11.50 AOA Category 1A
- 11.50 CE Contact Hour(s)
- 11.50 IBON
If you are interested in exhibiting at this conference, please use the REGISTER tab to submit your registration and payment. The DMU CME office will reach out to you before the conference to collect additional information. Please email email@example.com or call 515-271-1596 if you have any questions.
- Standard: $300
- Non-profit: $100
The following engagement opportunities are available:
- Daily exhibitor email sent to participants – exhibitor logo will be linked to the exhibitor website. Exhibitors have the option to include a paragraph (maximum of 100 words) to be featured in the emails. These emails will also include a link to the exhibitor's Zoom breakout room that participants will use to interact with your representative.
- Website treasure hunt – exhibitor will submit two (2) questions to the planning committee that participants will search for on their website. This helps drive traffic to the website and encourages participants to interact with the content.
- Breakout room bingo – exhibitors will have the option to be available within a designated room of the Zoom platform for face-to-face interaction with interested participants. Exhibitors will receive a code word to provide to participants that will verify their interaction. Breakout rooms will be available during the breaks, for a total of 2 hours and 15 minutes over the course of the two-day conference. The DMU CME office will schedule the Zoom sessions and will provide you with the access link prior to the conference.
To incentivize engagement with exhibitors, participants who complete the:
- Website treasure hunt will be entered into a drawing for four (4) half-off registrations for the 5th Annual Geriatric Behavioral Health Conference
- Breakout room bingo will be entered into a drawing for two (2) complimentary registrations for the 5th Annual Geriatric Behavioral Health Conference
- All cancellations must be received in writing at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- A nonrefundable administrative fee of $20 will be charged for all cancellations.
- No refunds will be given three (3) business days prior to the activity start date.
- Cancelled registrations can be transferred to another individual for the same activity.
- Individuals who fail to attend the activity (no-shows) will not receive any refund. Forfeited fees may not be applied to any other activity.