Using the HSOPS to Evaluate the Impact of TeamSTEPPS on Safety Culture
Team Strategies to Enhance Performance and Patient Safety (TeamSTEPPS) is an evidence-based set of teamwork tools, aimed at optimizing patient outcomes by improving communication and teamwork skills among health care professionals. It includes a comprehensive set of ready-to-use materials and a training curriculum to successfully integrate teamwork principles into any health care system.
- Use Kirkpatrick’s taxonomy of training evaluation criteria to measure changes in knowledge and adoption of team behaviors due to TeamSTEPPS training.
- Use the HSOPS to measure the results of TeamSTEPPS training (i.e., changes in perceptions of safety culture).
- Discuss characteristics of the work environment that support and inhibit transfer of new knowledge about teamwork to adoption of team tools and strategies.
- Explain how adopting team behaviors can improve all four components of safety culture—reporting culture, just culture, flexible culture, and learning culture.
Katherine Jones, PT, PhD
Associate professor, Department of Physical Therapy, University of Nebraska Medical Center
- TeamSTEPPS website - http://www.teamsteppsportal.org/
- Hospital Survey on Patient Safety Culture (HSOPS) - http://www.ahrq.gov/professionals/quality-patient-safety/patientsafetyculture/hospital/
- 1.00 CE Contact Hours