Trans and Cis: A Conversation on Caring for the LGBT+ Community
Once you're logged in, please select the "REGISTER" tab to process your payment and complete your registration.
Once you register for the course, you will have 30 days (approximately 1 month) from the date of enrollment to complete the course. The exact date that your access expires will be indicated within the Course Summary box on this webpage.
- Differentiate between sexual orientation and gender identity and the spectrums they encompass.
- Develop an understanding of the LGBT+ community and their unique health care needs.
- Consider why LGBT+ patients may avoid, underutilize and delay medical care and discuss how to make the medical environment more welcoming and inclusive.
Molly A. Uhlenhake, DO
Dr. Uhlenhake is an Assistant Professor of Internal Medicine and Pediatrics at The University of Missouri-Kansas City School of Medicine. She also works at the Truman Medical Center and Children's Mercy Hospital in Kansas City Missouri. Dr. Uhlenhake is a DMU alumna graduating from the College of Osteopathic Medicine. Her residency was at The University of Missouri, Kansas City in Internal Medicine and Pediatrics. Her specialties and research interests include adolescent medicine, underserved populations, immigrant health, patient center medical home, and patient advocacy.
Kim Tilson, BSN, RN
Nurse Care Manager, Truman Medical Center, Kansas City, MO
Ms. Tilson is a Nurse Care Manager at the Truman Medical Center in Kansas City, MO. Kim has provided training for over 1600 individuals over 29 separate presentations in the last 16 months. She has developed and chaired multiple LGBTQ related health conferences and developed multiple programs for the LGBTQ community. She works not only in the healthcare community but also in the local LGBTQ community. As a registered nurse and a transwoman she brings perspectives to make this topic more personal and the community easier to relate to, allowing better care of our patients and clients.
Relevant to the content of this CME activity, the speakers indicated they have no financial relationships with commercial interest companies to disclose.
Date of original release: November 8, 2019
Most recent review/update: November 8, 2019
Termination date: November 7, 2022
Continuing Education Credit
- MD: This activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the accreditation requirements and policies of the Iowa Medical Society (IMS). Des Moines University (DMU) is accredited by IMS to provide continuing medical education for physicians. DMU designates this enduring materials activity for a maximum of 1.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™. Physicians should only claim credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
- DO: Des Moines University (DMU) is accredited by the American Osteopathic Association (AOA) to provide osteopathic continuing medical education for physicians. DMU designates this activity for a maximum of 1.0 AOA Category 2-B credits and will report CME and specialty credits commensurate with the extent of the physician’s participation in this activity.
- Nurse: Des Moines University is Iowa Board of Nursing approved provider #112. This enduring materials activity has been reviewed and approved for 1.0 continuing education contact hour(s). No partial credit awarded.
- Other Healthcare Professionals: This enduring materials activity is designated for a maximum of 1.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™.
No ineligible company provided financial support for this continuing education activity.
The planning committee member(s) and speaker(s) will disclose if any pharmaceuticals or medical procedures and devices discussed are investigational or unapproved for use by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Determination of educational content and the selection of speakers is the responsibility of the activity director.
The information provided at this activity is for continuing education purposes only and is not meant to substitute for the independent medical judgment of a healthcare provider relative to diagnostic and treatment options of a specific patient’s medical condition. The content of each presentation does not necessarily reflect the views of Des Moines University.
- 1.00 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™
- 1.00 AOA Category 2B
- 1.00 CE Contact Hour(s)
- 1.00 IBON