Teaching Philosophy Statements
A component of faculty portfolios (Rank, Promotion, and Tenure Committee) is to include philosophy statements regarding teaching, scholarly activity, service, etc. This workshop is designed to explain elements of a teaching philosophy statement. Group members will determine several ways to describe a classroom to highlight the educator's priorities appropriate for a teaching philosophy statement. Participants will brainstorm ways to support claims made within their teaching philosophy statements with evidence. We welcome you to attend and learn more about what makes a high quality teaching philosophy statement.
After attending this session, participants will be able to:
- What a teaching philosophy statement is (and isn’t)
- Its importance
- What should be included
- Ways to support their philosophies
Brian Pinney, PhD
Educational Specialist, Des Moines University
Relevant to the content of this CME activity, Dr. Pinney indicated he has no financial relationships to disclose.
Des Moines University is located on a 22-acre campus in the heart of Des Moines, Iowa. Just west of downtown on Grand Avenue, the University is located in one of Des Moines’ most prestigious neighborhoods. The campus is in a historic neighborhood filled with tree-lined streets and gracious older homes and businesses. Its central location makes it easy to access the rest of the city and outlying communities. The campus is close to the Des Moines International Airport, located on the bus line and just blocks from local shopping and downtown Des Moines.
Continuing Education Credit
- DPM: Des Moines University (DMU) is approved by the Council on Podiatric Medical Education as a provider of continuing education in podiatric medicine. DMU has approved this activity for a maximum of 1.0 continuing education contact hour(s).
- MD: This activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the accreditation requirements and policies of the Iowa Medical Society (IMS). Des Moines University (DMU) is accredited by the IMS to provide continuing medical education for physicians. DMU designates this live activity for 1.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
- DO: Des Moines University (DMU) is accredited by the American Osteopathic Association (AOA) to provide osteopathic continuing medical education for physicians. DMU designates this program for a maximum of 1.0 AOA Category 1-A credits and will report CME and specialty credits commensurate with the extent of the physician’s participation in this activity.
- Other Health Professionals: This live activity is designated for 1.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™.
No commercial interest provided financial support for this continuing education activity.
- 1.00 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™
- 1.00 AOA Category 1A
- 1.00 CE Contact Hour(s)
- 1.00 CPME