Student Learning Assessment Study Strategies Inventory
An alternative session will be offered on September 7.
This workshop will provide an evidence-based overview of study approaches used by adult learners to support academic success along with a profile of the various study skill strategies used by the current OMS1 cohort prior to entering DMU-COM. Discussion will focus on ways of using the Learning Assessment Study Strategies Inventory (LASSI) to target student teaching and advising efforts across courses and advisees.
By attending this session, participants will be able to:
- Identify the types of study approaches that successful learners use to prepare for classes and exams.
- Relate study approaches reported by individual students and advisees to population-based benchmarks.
- Apply knowledge of study skill strategies to the design of formative learning opportunities.
- Develop targeted approaches for working with diverse learners across instructional settings.
- Critically advise students with regard to study skills development and academic planning.
- Access a toolkit of DMU-COM resources to support teaching and advising.
Leslie Wimsatt, PhD
Associate Dean for Academic Assessment, Quality and Development, Academic Affairs, Des Moines University
Continuing Education Credit
- DO: Des Moines University (DMU) is accredited by the American Osteopathic Association (AOA) to provide osteopathic continuing medical education for physicians. DMU designates this program for a maximum of 1.0 AOA Category 1-A credits and will report CME and specialty credits commensurate with the extent of the physician’s participation in this activity.
- MD: This activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the accreditation requirements and policies of the Iowa Medical Society (IMS). Des Moines University (DMU) is accredited by the IMS to provide continuing medical education for physicians. DMU designates this live activity for 1.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
- Other health professionals: This live activity is designated for 1.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™.
- 1.00 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™
- 1.00 AOA Category 1A
- 1.00 CE Contact Hour(s)