Oral Health Integration in Medication Assisted Treatment
MEDICATION ASSISTED TREATMENT ECHO
This interactive web-based program provides essential guidelines and steps to implementing and integrating a successful MAT program into an outpatient primary care setting. The MAT program aims to improve access for patients suffering from opioid use disorder.
- Diagnosing Opioid Use Disorder
- Types of medications (naltrexone vs. buprenorphine) and requirements for each (labs, monitoring, etc.)
- Buprenorphine induction maintenance, relapse and tapering protocols
- Referral process, clinic flow
- Opiate withdrawal-treatment
- Drug screens
- Controlled substance agreement
- Multi-party consents
- Prior authorization requirements for buprenorphine (documentation, barriers, etc.)
- Clinic and community integration
The purpose is to inform clinic members (admin, providers, nursing, etc.) on how to successfully integrate a MAT program into an outpatient primary care setting. The mission is to help centers and clinics set up primary care based MAT to improve access for patients suffering from opioid use disorder across the state of Iowa.
Professional Practice Gap
There is a lack of resources, expertise and time for learning the integration of MAT within a primary care setting. By providing access to example protocols, clinic flow and other measures to improve integration, this will decrease the burden of the work required to start a program.
- Provide essential guidelines and steps to implement a successful MAT program into primary care setting.
- Improve access for patients suffering from opioid use disorder.
- Provide guidance on dental management for patients with a history of substance use disorder.
Gagan Lamba, MA, MS, MBA, CSM
Iowa Primary Care Association
Iowa Primary Care Association
Scott Wolpin, DMD
Chief Dental Officer of Eastern Shore Rural Health System, Inc.
- Education:Tufts University School of Dental Medicine, Boston
- Residency: Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore
- Awards: State of Maryland Distinguished Service Award for service in public health and Association of Clinicians for the Underserved’s Clinician Hero of 2015
- Board Certification: Northeast Regional and National Dental Board Examinations
- Special Interests: Community practice addressing public health dental needs.
Dan Brody, DMD
Valley Health Systems, West Virginia
- Dental Education: University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine
- Externships: Muhlenberg Medical Center, The Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia
- Professional Memberships/Certifications: National Network for Oral Health Access (NNOHA) – Board Member
- Treats: Adults and children, ages 1 and older
- Dental Areas of Interest: Oral surgery
- DO: Des Moines University (DMU) is accredited by the American Osteopathic Association (AOA) to provide osteopathic continuing medical education for physicians. DMU designates this program for a maximum of 1.25 AOA Category 2-A credits and will report CME and specialty credits commensurate with the extent of the physician’s participation in this activity.
- MD: This activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the accreditation requirements and policies of the Iowa Medical Society (IMS) through the joint providership of Des Moines University (DMU) and Primary Health Care, Inc. DMU is accredited by IMS to provide continuing medical education for physicians. DMU designates this live activity for a maximum of 1.25 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)TM. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
- Nurse: Des Moines University is Iowa Board of Nursing approved provider #112. This live activity has been reviewed and approved for 1.25 continuing education contact hour(s). No partial credit awarded.
- Other healthcare professionals: This live activity is designated for 1.25 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)TM.
No commercial interest provided financial support for this continuing education activity.
Relevant to the content of this educational activity, the following individuals have no conflicts of interest with commercial interest companies to disclose.
- Daniel Brody, DMD, Speaker
- Nicole Gastala, MD, Planning Committee Member
- Bery Englebretson, MD, Activity Director and Planning Committee Member
- Gagandeep Lamba, MA, MS, MBA, Moderator
- Chelsea Miller, Moderator and Planning Committee Member
- Kathryn Sticca, PharmD, BCPP, Planning Committee Member
- Scott Wolpin, DMD, Speaker
The speaker(s) will disclose if any pharmaceuticals or medical procedures and devices discussed are investigational or unapproved for use by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Determination of educational content and the selection of speakers is the responsibility of the activity director.
The information provided at this activity is for continuing education purposes only and is not meant to substitute for the independent medical judgment of a healthcare provider relative to diagnostic and treatment options of a specific patient’s medical condition. The content of each presentation does not necessarily reflect the views of Des Moines University.
- 1.25 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™
- 1.25 AOA Category 2A
- 1.25 CE Contact Hour(s)
- 1.25 IBON