Opioids - Are the Blind Leading the Blind?
Once you're logged in, please select the "REGISTER" tab to process your payment and complete your registration.
Once you register for the course, you will have 180 days (approximately 6 months) from the date of enrollment to complete the course. The exact date that your access expires will be indicated within the Course Summary box on this webpage.
According to the Iowa Department of Public Health, 2017 was Iowa's highest year for opioid deaths, up nearly 900% from 2000. The good news is that the number of deaths involving opioids from January to August of 2018 has fallen 35% from 2017. However, there is still much work to be done.
- Discuss the recent history of narcotic use in the United States.
- Construct a mental model for compassionate care and solution-focused treatment of opioid abusers.
- Identify treatment options for opioid addicted persons.
- Discuss the point-of-view of addicted persons and their caregivers in providing patient-centered care.
Date of original release: December 7, 2018
Most recent review/update: December 7, 2018
Termination date: December 6, 2021
Thomas Benzoni, DO, EM, AOBEM, FACEP
Assistant Professor, Family Medicine, Des Moines University
President and Executive Director, The Partnership for a Drug Free Iowa
Mr. Komendowski has over 12 years of experience managing a task force made up of substance abuse prevention, public safety, public policy, public health, health care, education and business interests focused on identifying and mitigating the factors influencing youth high-risk behavior. He has most recently been heavily involved in media, community outreach and educational forums focused on the epidemiology of the opioid crisis and community health improvement initiatives.
Relevant to the content of this educational activity, the speakers indicated they have no financial relationships with commercial interest companies to disclose.
- MD: This activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the accreditation requirements and policies of the Iowa Medical Society (IMS). Des Moines University (DMU) is accredited by the IMS to provide continuing medical education for physicians. DMU designates this enduring materials activity for 1.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
- DO: Des Moines University (DMU) is accredited by the American Osteopathic Association (AOA) to provide osteopathic continuing medical education for physicians. DMU designates this program for a maximum of 1.0 AOA Category 1-B credits and will report CME and specialty credits commensurate with the extent of the physician’s participation in this activity.
- Nurse: Des Moines University is Iowa Board of Nursing approved provider #112. This enduring materials activity has been reviewed and approved for 1.0 continuing education contact hour(s). No partial credit awarded.
- Other healthcare providers: This live activity is designated for 1.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™.
No commercial interest company provided financial support for this continuing education activity.
Everyone in a position to control the content of this educational activity will disclose to the CME provider and to attendees all relevant financial relationships with any commercial interest. They will also disclose if any pharmaceuticals or medical procedures and devices discussed are investigational or unapproved for use by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Determination of educational content and the selection of speakers is the responsibility of the activity director. Firms providing financial support did not have input in these areas. The information provided at this CME activity is for continuing education purposes only and is not meant to substitute for the independent medical judgment of a healthcare provider relative to diagnostic and treatment options of a specific patient’s medical condition. The content of each presentation does not necessarily reflect the views of Des Moines University.
- 1.00 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™
- 1.00 AOA Category 1B
- 1.00 CE Contact Hour(s)
- 1.00 IBON