Mercy Medical Center Cancer Conference
The cancer conference will review current cancer cases. Presentations will include pathology, radiology, pharmacology, and other pertinent material related to the case under discussion.
Physicians, nurses, and other interested health professionals involved in cancer patient care.
- Identify contemporary diagnosis and treatment strategies in clinical and primary management of the oncology patient.
- Discuss factors that guide the fonnulation of a management plan in those patients with cancer.
- Apply the principles of evidenced based medicine in the practice of caring for the oncology patient.
- Identify the advantages of the team approach in caring for patients with cancer.
- Recurrent Rectal Cancer
- Breast Cancer
- Lung Cancer
- Metastatic phyllodes tumor
- Thyroid Cancer
- Neck Cancer
All HIPAA rules and regulations apply. Unless otherwise stated, all treatment discussion will be in accordance with the NCCN guidelines.
Richard L. Deming, MD
Radiation Oncologist, Mercy Medical Center
- Bachelor of Science degree, South Dakota State University
- Medical degree, Creighton University School of Medicine
- Internship in Internal Medicine, Naval Regional Medical Center, San Diego
- Residency in Radiation Oncology, University of California San Francisco
- Board certified in Radiation Oncology from the American Board of Radiology
Dr. Deming came to Mercy after spending two years on staff at the National Cancer Institute and National Naval Medical Center in Bethesda, Maryland. He is the medical director for Mercy Cancer Center Radiation Oncology and medical director of the CyberKnife Radiosurgery Center of Iowa. He also serves as the chairman of the Mercy Cancer Committee. Dr. Deming is active in a number of professional oncology organizations. He is president of the Iowa Society of Therapeutic Radiology. He serves on the Expert Panel for Radiation Oncology for the American College of Radiology. Dr. Deming is on the State Advisory Council of the American Cancer Society and is active in the Iowa Consortium for Comprehensive Cancer Care. He is on the board of directors for the Iowa Oncology Research Association and is the past chairman of the radiation oncology committee for the North Central Cancer Treatment Group. Dr. Deming is a charter member of the Des Moines chapter of the Lance Armstrong LiveStrong Foundation. He is also a Susan G. Komen Society "Doctor for the Cure" and actively supports breast cancer advocacy in Iowa.
Speaker(s) will disclose to attendees the nature of any financial relationships they have with the commercial firms providing support as well as the commercial manufacturers of products and/or the providers of services discussed in their presentations. They will also disclose if any pharmaceuticals or medical procedures and devices discussed are investigational or unapproved for use by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
There is no commercial support for this Cancer Conference.
Continuing Education Credit
- DO: Des Moines University is accredited by the American Osteopathic Association (AOA) and approves this live activity for 1.0 AOA Category 2-A CME credit(s).
- 1.00 AOA Category 2A