Legal Considerations for Medical Providers Regarding Guardianship and Power of Attorney
Once you're logged in, please select the "REGISTER" tab to process your payment and complete your registration.
Once you register for the course, you will have 30 days (approximately 1 month) from the date of enrollment to complete the course. The exact date that your access expires will be indicated within the Course Summary box on this webpage.
- Differentiate between power of attorney and guardianship.
- Describe the difference between substituted judgment and best interest standards.
- List several standards or ethical principles from National Guardianship Association.
Recording date: October 2, 2020
Date of original release: October 23, 2020
Most recent review/update: October 23, 2020
Termination date: October 22, 2023
- MD: This activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the accreditation requirements and policies of the Iowa Medical Society (IMS). Des Moines University (DMU) is accredited by the IMS to provide continuing medical education for physicians. DMU designates this enduring materials activity for 0.75 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
- DO: Des Moines University (DMU) is accredited by the American Osteopathic Association (AOA) to provide osteopathic continuing medical education for physicians. DMU designates this program for a maximum of 0.75 AOA Category 2-B credits and will report CME and specialty credits commensurate with the extent of the physician’s participation in this activity.
- DPM: Des Moines University (DMU) is approved by the Council on Podiatric Medical Education as a provider of continuing education in podiatric medicine. DMU has approved this activity for a maximum of 0.75 continuing education contact hours.
- Other healthcare providers: This enduring materials activity is designated for 0.75 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™.
No commercial interest company provided financial support for this continuing education activity.
The speakers indicate they have no financial relationships with commercial interest companies to disclose relevant to the content of this educational activity. Everyone in a position to control the content of this educational activity will disclose to the CME provider and to attendees all relevant financial relationships with any commercial interest. The speaker(s) will disclose if any pharmaceuticals or medical procedures and devices discussed are investigational or unapproved for use by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Determination of educational content and the selection of speakers is the responsibility of the activity director. Firms providing financial support did not have input in these areas.
The information provided at this activity is for continuing education purposes only and is not meant to substitute for the independent medical judgment of a healthcare provider relative to diagnostic and treatment options of a specific patient’s medical condition. The content of each presentation does not necessarily reflect the views of Des Moines University.
- 0.75 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™
- 0.75 AOA Category 2B
- 0.75 CE Contact Hour(s)
- 0.75 CPME