Learner and Faculty Well-Being: Finding a Path Forward
Once you register for the course, you will have 30 days from the date of enrollment to complete the course. The exact date that your access expires will be indicated within the Course Summary box on this webpage.
Regional assistant deans, site physician champions, and site coordinators.
- List mindsets and types of automatic thoughts that can contribute to personal distress.
- Describe strategies to combat these mindsets and thoughts.
- Describe tools from a well-being toolbox that can be used to enhance personal well-being.
Recording date: September 8, 2020
Date of original release: September 16, 2020
Most recent review/update: September 16, 2020
Termination date: September 13, 2023
Stuart Slavin, MD, MEd
Senior Scholar for Well-Being, Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education
Dr. Slavin is Senior Scholar for Well-being at the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME). A graduate of Saint Louis University (SLU) School of Medicine, Dr. Slavin completed his residency training in pediatrics at UCLA and stayed on as a faculty member there for seventeen years before returning to SLU as Associate Dean for Curriculum. Over the past decade, Dr. Slavin led efforts at SLU to improve the mental health of medical students that produced dramatic decreases in rates of depression and anxiety in pre-clerkship students. He joined the ACGME in July 2018 and will help lead efforts to improve the mental health of residents and faculty across the US.
Nehad El-Sawi, PhD
Assistant Provost for Educational Innovation and Enhancement, Des Moines University
- DPM: Des Moines University (DMU) is approved by the Council on Podiatric Medical Education as a provider of continuing education in podiatric medicine. DMU has approved this activity for a maximum of 1.5 continuing education contact hours.
- MD: This activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the accreditation requirements and policies of the Iowa Medical Society (IMS). Des Moines University (DMU) is accredited by the IMS to provide continuing medical education for physicians. DMU designates this enduring materials activity for a maximum of 1.5 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™. Physicians should only claim credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
- DO: Des Moines University (DMU) is accredited by the American Osteopathic Association (AOA) to provide osteopathic continuing medical education for physicians. DMU designates this program for a maximum of 1.5 AOA Category 2-B credits and will report CME and specialty credits commensurate with the extent of the physician’s participation in this activity.
- Nurse: Des Moines University is Iowa Board of Nursing approved provider #112. This live activity has been reviewed and approved for 1.5 continuing education contact hour(s). No partial credit awarded.
- Other Healthcare Professionals: This enduring materials activity is designated for a maximum of 1.5 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™.
No commercial interest company provided financial support for this continuing education activity.
The speaker(s) will disclose if any pharmaceuticals or medical procedures and devices discussed are investigational or unapproved for use by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Determination of educational content and the selection of speakers is the responsibility of the activity director.
Relevant to the content of this educational activity, the following individual(s) have no conflict(s) with commercial interest companies to disclose.
- Nehad El-Sawi, PhD, Speaker
- Steven Halm, DO, FAAP, FACP, Activity Director
- Stuart Slavin, MD, MEd, Speaker
- Dennis Walker, Activity Coordinator and Moderator
The information provided at this activity is for continuing education purposes only and is not meant to substitute for the independent medical judgment of a healthcare provider relative to diagnostic and treatment options of a specific patient’s medical condition. The content of each presentation does not necessarily reflect the views of Des Moines University.
- 1.50 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™
- 1.50 AOA Category 2B
- 1.50 CE Contact Hour(s)
- 1.50 CPME
- 1.50 IBON