Primary care providers, clinical behavior health specialists and behavior health directors.
Medication Assisted Treatment ECHO
This interactive web-based program provides essential guidelines and steps to implementing and integrating a successful MAT program into an outpatient primary care setting. The MAT program aims to improve access for patients suffering from opioid use disorder.
- Diagnosing Opioid Use Disorder
- Types of medications (naltrexone vs. buprenorphine) and requirements for each (labs, monitoring, etc.)
- Buprenorphine induction maintenance, relapse and tapering protocols
- Referral process, clinic flow
- Opiate withdrawal-treatment
- Drug screens
- Controlled substance agreement
- Multi-party consents
- Prior authorization requirements for buprenorphine (documentation, barriers, etc.)
- Clinic and community integration
The purpose is to inform clinic members (admin, providers, nursing, etc.) on how to successfully integrate a MAT program into an outpatient primary care setting. The mission is to help centers and clinics set up primary care based MAT to improve access for patients suffering from opioid use disorder across the state of Iowa.
- Integration of MAT within a primary care outpatient setting.
- Explore work-flows, clinic agreements, prior authorization for medication requirements and example protocols.
- Learn the different phases of outpatient MAT care including induction, titration, maintenance and taper.
Bery Engebretsen, MD (Moderator and Speaker)
Chief Visionary, Primary Health Care, Inc.
Nicole Gastala, MD
Physician, Primary Health Care, Inc.
Sara Dixon, MPA (Moderator)
Chief Strategy Officer, Primary Health Care, Inc.
Relevant to the content of this CME activity, the planning committee, speakers, and moderators indicated they have no financial relationships with commercial interest companies to disclose.
- DO: Des Moines University (DMU) is accredited by the American Osteopathic Association (AOA) to provide osteopathic continuing medical education for physicians. DMU designates this program for a maximum of 1.0 AOA Category 2-A credits and will report CME and specialty credits commensurate with the extent of the physician’s participation in this activity.
- MD: This activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the accreditation requirements and policies of the Iowa Medical Society (IMS) through the joint providership of Des Moines University (DMU) and Primary Health Care, Inc. DMU is accredited by IMS to provide continuing medical education for physicians. DMU designates this live activity for a maximum of 1.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)TM. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
- Nurse: Des Moines University is Iowa Board of Nursing approved provider #112. This live activity has been reviewed and approved for 1.0 continuing education contact hour(s). No partial credit awarded.
- Other healthcare professionals: This live activity is designated for 1.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)TM.
No commercial interest provided financial support for this continuing education activity.
Everyone in a position to control the content of this educational activity will disclose to the CME provider and to attendees all relevant financial relationships with any commercial interest. They will also disclose if any pharmaceuticals or medical procedures and devices discussed are investigational or unapproved for use by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Determination of educational content and the selection of speakers is the responsibility of the activity director. Firms providing financial support did not have input in these areas. The information provided at this CME activity is for continuing education purposes only and is not meant to substitute for the independent medical judgment of a healthcare provider relative to diagnostic and treatment options of a specific patient’s medical condition. The content of each presentation does not necessarily reflect the views of Des Moines University.
- 1.00 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™
- 1.00 AOA Category 2A
- 1.00 CE Contact Hour(s)
- 1.00 IBON