Hepatitis D: Screening and Diagnosis
You must log in or create an account before enrolling in this educational activity.
Once you register for the course, you will have 30 days from the date of enrollment to complete the course. The date your access expires will be indicated in the Course Summary box on this webpage.
Providers and clinical staff interested in providing treatment and care to individuals diagnosed with Hepatitis C virus (HCV) infection (providers, nurses, behavioral health, linkage navigators, front desk/scheduling, admin, etc.).
- Discuss the importance of screening for Hepatitis D Virus (HDV).
- Review the HDV pathophysiology.
- Describe treatment for HDV.
Norah Terrault, MD, MPH, FAASLD
Professor of Medicine, Chief, Division of GI and Liver: Neil Kaplowitz Chair in Liver Diseases, Keck School of Medicine of University of Southern California
Dr. Norah Terrault is a Professor of Medicine and Chief of Gastroenterology and Liver Diseases at the Keck School of Medicine at the University of Southern California. She received her MD from the University of Alberta. She completed fellowships in Internal Medicine and Gastroenterology at the University of Toronto and a Masters in Public Health at the University of California at Berkeley.
Dr. Terrault has focused her clinical and research activities on viral hepatitis and non-alcoholic fatty liver disease, especially in special populations including those with cirrhosis and transplants. In addition to multiple clinical trials related to preventing and treating chronic hepatitis viral hepatitis and fatty liver, Dr. Terrault has been PI on multiple NIH-funded studies, including the current NIH-supported HBV clinical research network (HBRN) and nonalcoholic steatohepatitis clinical research network (NASH CRN). She has authored 330 peer-reviewed manuscripts, editorials, invited reviews as well as US national guidelines for the treatment of chronic hepatitis B and C. She is a past associate editor for Hepatology, deputy editor for Liver Transplantation, and co-edited Zakim and Boyer’s textbook in hepatology.
She is the founder of ECHO-Plus, a multifaceted program to train and support primary care physicians in California to care for patients with hepatitis. She has a long history of mentoring fellows and junior faculty in clinical research. She is passionate about creating research support and opportunities for the next generation of GI/Hepatology investigators. Dr. Terrault was recently elected as Councilor to the AASLD governing board and will serve as president in 2023.
Recording date: October 18, 2022
Date of original release: November 1, 2022
Most recent review/update: November 1, 2022
Termination date: October 31, 2025
- MD: This activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the accreditation requirements and policies of the Iowa Medical Society (IMS) through the joint providership of Des Moines University (DMU) and the Iowa Primary Care Association. DMU is accredited by IMS to provide continuing medical education for physicians. DMU designates this enduring materials activity for a maximum of 0.50 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™. Physicians should only claim credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
- DO: Des Moines University (DMU) is accredited by the American Osteopathic Association (AOA) to provide osteopathic continuing medical education for physicians. DMU designates this activity for a maximum of 0.50 AOA Category 2-B credits and will report CME and specialty credits commensurate with the extent of the physician’s participation in this activity.
- Other Healthcare Professionals: This live activity is designated for a maximum of 0.50 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™.
No ineligible company provided financial support for this continuing education activity.
The planning committee member(s) and speaker(s) will disclose if any pharmaceuticals or medical procedures and devices discussed are investigational or unapproved for use by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). The determination of educational content and the selection of speakers is the responsibility of the activity director.
Relevant to the content of this educational activity, the following individual(s) have no conflict(s) with ineligible companies to disclose.
- Julie Baker, MPA, CHCEF - Planning Committee Member, and Moderator
- Kristi Barslou - Activity Coordinator
- Mark Hillenbrand, MSW, LISW, RCSW - Planning Committee Member
- Megan Srinivas, MD, MPH - Planning Committee Member
- Megan Westerly, MSN, RN - Activity Coordinator and Moderator
Relevant to the content of this educational activity, the following individual(s) have a conflict(s) with ineligible companies to disclose. All relevant financial relationships have been mitigated.
- Steven Donnelly, PharmD - Planning Committee Member, Speaker for Gilead
- Douglas LaBrecque, MD - Planning Committee Member, Advisory Board Member for HepQuant
- Norah Terrault, MD, MPH, FAASLD - Speaker
- Consultant - Moderna
- Research Support - Gilead, Glaxo-Smith-Kline, Roche-Genentech, DURECT Corp, Helio Health
The information provided at this activity is for continuing education. It is not meant to substitute for the independent medical judgment of a healthcare provider relative to diagnostic and treatment options of a specific patient’s medical condition. The content of each presentation does not necessarily reflect the views of Des Moines University.
- 0.50 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™
- 0.50 AOA Category 2B
- 0.50 CE Contact Hour(s)