Health Care for Diverse Populations Cultural Competence, Humility, and Wellness
You must log in or create an account before enrolling in this educational activity.
Once you register for the course, you will have 30 days from the date of enrollment to complete the course. The date your access expires will be indicated in the Course Summary box on this webpage.
Providers and clinical staff who are interested in providing treatment and care to individuals diagnosed with Hepatitis C virus (HCV) infection (providers, nurses, behavioral health, linkage navigators, front desk/scheduling, admin, etc.).
- Discuss the impact of individual racism and implicit bias on HCV care.
- Discuss the impact of systemic racism and implicit bias on HCV care.
- Identify two challenges of individual change.
- Identify two challenges of systemic change.
Mark J. Hillenbrand, MSW, LISW, RCSW
British Columbia College of Social Workers
Mr. Hillenbrand is a licensed independent clinical social work and registered clinical social worker. He conducted psychotherapy with individuals, couples, families and groups at his private practice, Authentic Freedom Counseling Center. He is trained in self-psychology, object relations and pastoral counseling. In his clinical work, Mark specializes in assisting individuals diagnosed with chronic, and or traumatic illness, to identify and take steps in continuing the journey of becoming their true-selves. Mark has extensive experience in working with individuals diagnosed with HIV/AIDS, Huntington’s Disease and other significant health diagnoses. Mark is currently leading the professional regulatory body that regulates the profession of social work in the Province of British Columbia, Canada.
Recording date: November 16, 2021
Date of original release: November 23, 2021
Most recent review/update: November 23, 2021
Termination date: November 22, 2024
- MD: This activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the accreditation requirements and policies of the Iowa Medical Society (IMS) through the joint providership of Des Moines University (DMU) and the Iowa Primary Care Association. DMU is accredited by IMS to provide continuing medical education for physicians. DMU designates this enduring materials activity for a maximum of 0.75 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™. Physicians should only claim credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
- DO: Des Moines University (DMU) is accredited by the American Osteopathic Association (AOA) to provide osteopathic continuing medical education for physicians. DMU designates this activity for a maximum of 0.75 AOA Category 2-B credits and will report CME and specialty credits commensurate with the extent of the physician’s participation in this activity.
- Other Healthcare Professionals: This live activity is designated for a maximum of 0.75 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™.
No ineligible company provided financial support for this continuing education activity.
The planning committee member(s) and speaker(s) will disclose if any pharmaceuticals or medical procedures and devices discussed are investigational or unapproved for use by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Determination of educational content and the selection of speakers is the responsibility of the activity director.
Relevant to the content of this educational activity, the following individual(s) have no conflict(s) with ineligible companies to disclose.
- Julie Baker, MPH, CHCEF - Planning Committee Member and Moderator
- Sarah Dixon, MPA - Planning Committee Member
- Steven Donnelly, PharmD - Planning Committee Member
- Alicia Huguelet, MPH, MSW - Planning Committee Member
- Gagandeep Lamba, MA, MS, MBA, CSM - Activity Planning Committee Member
- Bethany Maen - Planning Committee Member
- Chelsea Miller - Planning Committee Member
- Liz Noble - Planning Committee Member
- Kristi Roose, BA, CPHIMS - Planning Committee Member
- Megan Srinivas, MD, MPH - Planning Committee Member
- Megan Westerly, MSN, BA, RN - Moderator
- Stephen Blobaum - Speaker
Relevant to the content of this educational activity, the following individual(s) have a conflict(s) with ineligible companies to disclose. All financial relationships have been mitigated by the accredited provider.
- Donald Hillebrand, MD - Planning Committee Member, Speaker’s bureau for AbbVie and Gilead
- Mark Hillenbrand, LISW, RCSW - Planning Committee Member and Speaker, Spouse is an employee at Vida Health (develops health information material for consumers)
The information provided at this activity is for continuing education purposes only and is not meant to substitute for the independent medical judgment of a healthcare provider relative to diagnostic and treatment options of a specific patient’s medical condition. The content of each presentation does not necessarily reflect the views of Des Moines University.
- 0.75 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™
- 0.75 AOA Category 2B
- 0.75 CE Contact Hour(s)