Friday Research Seminar Series: MSBS Students
Des Moines University faculty, staff, and students.
An Examination of Different Inc Plasmids in Salmonella Typhimurium, and their Effects on Fitness and Invasion
Allen Kempf, MSBS Student, Des Moines University
- Describe the role of multiple-drug resistance plasmids in Salmonella and their role in pathogenesis
- Describe the technique of incompatibility typing of plasmids, and how it can be used in molecular biology.
- Consider the potential for changes in fitness of the host with the acquisition of Inc A/C plasmids.
Degradation and Utilization of Complex Carbohydrates by Trichomonas vaginalis
Ryan Huffman, MSBS Student, Des Moines University
- Describe the parasitic protozoan Trichomonas vaginalis and the pathology of trichomoniasis.
- Assess the levels of hydrolytic activity towards complex carbohydrates in culture supernatants and cell lysates of T. vaginalis.
- Assess the ability of T. vaginalis cultured under different growth conditions to degrade glycogen.
- 1.00 CE Contact Hour(s)