Emergency Medicine Ultrasound
Once you register for the course, you will have 30 days from the date of enrollment to complete the course. The exact date that your access expires will be indicated within the Course Summary box on this webpage.
All interested healthcare providers are invited to complete this course.
This online activity is designed to give the practicing Emergency Provider current information to improve image acquisition and interpretation of point of care ultrasound. Practicing emergency ultrasound experts will give presentations of each topic.
The following modules are included in this online course.
- Musculoskeletal (MSK) Ultrasound Basics and Nerve Blocks
- Joint Visualization, Tendinopathies, and Injections
- Ultrasound Program Development and Administration Panel Discussion
- Identify relevant anatomy with ultrasound.
- Describe technical processes to perform radial, ulnar, and fascia iliaca nerve blocks and administer medication.
- Compare the unique characteristics of nerve, vascular, and joint ultrasound exams.
- Describe safety measures and interventions for Local Anesthetic Toxicity.
- Identify major structures of shoulder, knee, and ankle joints.
- Compare typical tendon findings in normal and pathologic states.
- Describe techniques for joint and bursal injections.
- Develop a strategic approach to ultrasound education for providers in practice.
- Outline an approach to developing credentialing and privileging.
- Describe techniques for image archiving and quality assurance.
- Navigate the challenges of interdepartmental cooperation and barriers to program acceptance.
- Outline a process for machine selection that is right for your needs.
Recording date: September 19, 2020
Date of original release: December 9, 2020
Most recent review/update: December 9, 2020
Termination date: December 8, 2023
SPEAKERS & MODERATORS
Tom Benzoni, DO, EM, AOBEM, FACEP
Emergency Department Staff Physician, UnityPoint Health Des Moines
Assistant Professor of Family Medicine, Des Moines University
Clint Hawthorne, MD, FACEP
Medical Director, Emergency Department, UnityPoint Health Des Moines
Karin Howe, DO
Emergency Medicine, MercyOne Des Moines
Todd Sexton, DO
Emergency Medicine, UnityPoint Health Des Moines
Casey Woster, MD, RDMS
Regions Hospital Emergency Department and Residency Senior Faculty Physician
Assistant Professor of Emergency Medicine, University of Minnesota
Relevant to the content of this educational activity, the following individuals have no financial conflicts with commercial interest companies to disclose:
- Tom Benzoni, DO, EM, AOBEM, FACEP - Planning committee member and speaker
- Kevin Carnevale, MD - Planning committee member
- Chase Deobald, DO - Planning committee member
- Clint Hawthorne, MD, FACEP - Activity director and speaker
- Karin Howe, DO - Planning committee member and speaker
- Nick Kluesner, MD - Planning committee member
- Todd Sexton, DO - Planning committee member and speaker
Relevant to the content of this educational activity, the following individual has a financial conflict with a commercial interest company to disclose:
- Casey Woster, MD, RDMS - Speaker: Consultant for Butterfly Network, Inc.
- 2.50 CE Contact Hour(s)