Death, Grief, and Compassion Fatigue
You must log in or create an account before enrolling in this educational activity.
Once you register for the course, you will have 30 days from the date of enrollment to complete the course. The date your access expires will be indicated in the Course Summary box on this webpage.
- Reflect on the phenomenon of dying as a psycho-spiritual process.
- Reflect on the natural grieving process and the impact of the absence of goodbye rituals in dysfunctional grief.
- Determine key elements of compassion fatigue in the sanitary team for opportune detection and effective intervention.
Luz Marina Cano, PhD
Dr. Cano is a physician with a PhD in Education from Atlantic International University and a PhD in Complex thought focusing on Palliative care. She has a Master's in Medical Education from Atlantic International University and is a member of the Education Commission for Palliative Care and the Palliative Care Latin American Association. She has advanced in difficult conversations from the California State University-Shiley Institute for Palliative Care. Dr. Cano is classified as junior Research by Colciencias (Colombia's Ministry of Science, Technology, and Innovation) with experience in Palliative care. She is a published author on palliative care and evidence-based pedagogy. Currently, she works at Fundacion Universitaria Juan N. Corpas as a Professor for the Nursing and Medicine undergraduate programs and the Master in Health Education. Dr. Cano is also an Associate Professor at Universidad El Bosque in the Master of Bioethics.
Recording date: October 16, 2020
Date of original release: October 19, 2020
Most recent review/update: October 19, 2020
Termination date: October 18, 2023
- DPM: Des Moines University (DMU) is approved by the Council on Podiatric Medical Education as a provider of continuing education in podiatric medicine. DMU has approved this activity for a maximum of 1.25 continuing education contact hours.
- MD: This activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the accreditation requirements and policies of the Iowa Medical Society (IMS). Des Moines University (DMU) is accredited by the IMS to provide continuing medical education for physicians. DMU designates this enduring materials activity for a maximum of 1.25 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™. Physicians should only claim credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
- DO: Des Moines University (DMU) is accredited by the American Osteopathic Association (AOA) to provide osteopathic continuing medical education for physicians. DMU designates this activity for a maximum of 1.25 AOA Category 2-B credits and will report CME and specialty credits commensurate with the extent of the physician’s participation in this activity.
- Nurse: Des Moines University is Iowa Board of Nursing approved provider #112. This live activity has been reviewed and approved for 1.25 continuing education contact hour(s). No partial credit awarded.
- Other Healthcare Professionals: This enduring materials activity is designated for a maximum of 1.25 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™.
No ineligible company provided financial support for this continuing education activity.
The speaker(s) will disclose if any pharmaceuticals, medical procedures, and devices discussed are investigational or unapproved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). The determination of educational content and the selection of speakers is the responsibility of the activity director.
Relevant to the content of this educational activity, the following individual(s) have no conflict(s) with ineligible companies to disclose.
- Luz Marina Cano, PhD - Speaker
- Sondra Schreiber, MA - Activity Director
The information provided in this activity is for continuing education. It is not meant to substitute for the independent medical judgment of a healthcare provider relative to diagnostic and treatment options of a specific patient’s medical condition. The content of each presentation does not necessarily reflect the views of Des Moines University.
- 1.25 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™
- 1.25 AOA Category 2B
- 1.25 CE Contact Hour(s)
- 1.25 CPME
- 1.25 IBON