Community Engaged Scholarship: A Research Orientation Module in Comparative Neuroanatomy
Des Moines University has been working in collaboration with Des Moines Public Schools Central Campus in which educators have constructed a Research Orientation Module in Comparative Neuroanatomy that familiarizes high school students (Grades 11-12) with evolutionary neuroscience and some of the research methods employed in mapping the human brain. Through the use of a mixed instructional approach, this intervention has allowed students to learn science outside of the traditional classroom setting and to apply this knowledge by collaborating on a research project pertaining to the mammalian brain.
Mohammad Spocter, PhD
Assistant Professor, Anatomy, Des Moines University
Relevant to the content of this CME activity, Dr. Spocter indicated he has no relevant financial relationships to disclose.
No commercial interest provided financial support for this continuing education activity.
Continuing Education Credit
- DPM: Des Moines University (DMU) is approved by the Council on Podiatric Medical Education as a provider of continuing education in podiatric medicine. DMU has approved this activity for a maximum of 0.5 continuing education contact hour(s).
- MD: This activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the accreditation requirements and policies of the Iowa Medical Society (IMS). Des Moines University (DMU) is accredited by the IMS to provide continuing medical education for physicians. DMU designates this live activity for 0.5 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
- DO: Des Moines University (DMU) is accredited by the American Osteopathic Association (AOA) to provide osteopathic continuing medical education for physicians. DMU designates this program for a maximum of 0.5 AOA Category 1-A credits and will report CME and specialty credits commensurate with the extent of the physician’s participation in this activity.
- Other Health Professionals: This live activity is designated for 0.5 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™.
- 0.50 AOA Category 1A
- 0.50 CPME
- 0.50 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™
- 0.50 CE Contact Hour(s)