Childhood Leukemia: A Family Affair
Once you're logged in, please select the "REGISTER" tab to process your payment and complete your registration.
Once you register for the course, you will have 30 days (approximately 1 month) from the date of enrollment to complete the course. The exact date that your access expires will be indicated within the Course Summary box on this webpage.
- Identify ways in which families are impacted by a diagnosis of Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia.
- Describe support available to children and families when a child has been diagnosed with cancer.
Date of original release: May 3, 2019
Most recent review/update: May 3, 2019
Termination date: May 2, 2022
Heather Soyer, PsyD, is a pediatric psychologist with Blank Children's Psychological Services. She specializes in the treatment of psychological issues in children, adolescents, and families coping with cancer and other blood disorders. She has been involved in clinical research evaluating the psychosocial functioning and health related quality of life of adolescents and young adults with cancer and other blood disorders.
Dr. Soyer earned her degree in clinical psychology from Nova Southeastern University in 2009 after completing her internship at the UCLA Semel Institute of Neurosciences and Behavior specializing in pediatric psychology and child and adolescent mental health. She completed a fellowship in pediatric psycho-oncology at the Medical College of Wisconsin Children's Hospitals of Wisconsin where she provided inpatient and outpatient clinical services to pediatric oncology and hematopoietic stem cell transplant patients and their families. Full biography.
Janelle Kamba, MSW, LISW, provides social services for patients and families receiving care from the Blank Children's Pediatric Oncology Medical Team
Relevant to the content of this activity, the speakers have no financial relationships with commercial interest companies to disclose.
Continuing Education Credit
- MD: This activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the accreditation requirements and policies of the Iowa Medical Society (IMS). Des Moines University (DMU) is accredited by IMS to provide continuing medical education for physicians. DMU designates this enduring materials activity for a maximum of 1.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™. Physicians should only claim credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
- DO: Des Moines University (DMU) is accredited by the American Osteopathic Association (AOA) to provide osteopathic continuing medical education for physicians. DMU designates this program for a maximum of 1.0 AOA Category 2-B credits and will report CME and specialty credits commensurate with the extent of the physician’s participation in this activity.
- Nurse: Des Moines University is Iowa Board of Nursing approved provider #112. This enduring materials activity has been reviewed and approved for 1.0 continuing education contact hour(s). No partial credit awarded.
- Other Healthcare Professionals: This enduring materials activity is designated for a maximum of 1.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™.
No commercial interest company provided financial support for this continuing education activity.
Everyone in a position to control the content of this educational activity will disclose to the CME provider and to attendees all relevant financial relationships with any commercial interest. They will also disclose if any pharmaceuticals or medical procedures and devices discussed are investigational or unapproved for use by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Determination of educational content and the selection of speakers is the responsibility of the activity director. Firms providing financial support did not have input in these areas. The information provided at this CME activity is for continuing education purposes only and is not meant to substitute for the independent medical judgment of a healthcare provider relative to diagnostic and treatment options of a specific patient’s medical condition. The content of each presentation does not necessarily reflect the views of Des Moines University.
- 1.00 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™
- 1.00 AOA Category 2B
- 1.00 CE Contact Hour(s)
- 1.00 IBON