TransHealth Series: Introduction To Gender Affirming Care for Adolescents
Two attendance options:
Full TransHealth Series Schedule
- March 22, 2023 - Introduction to Trans Health
- March 23, 2023 - Trans Primary and Geriatric Care
- March 27, 2023 - OB/GYN Care for Transgender Health
- March 29, 2023 - Introduction To Gender Affirming Care for Adolescents
- March 30, 2023 - Providing Mental Health Support for Transgender Patients
- April 5, 2023 - Transitioning in Medicine Panel
- April 6, 2023 - Providing Pelvic Floor Therapy for Trans Patients
DMU faculty, staff, students, residents, and the medical community.
- List 2-3 best practices for providing gender-affirming care for adolescents.
- Discuss the basics of adolescent endocrinology.
Transgender individuals are a high-risk population for mental and physical health problems and are consistently and systemically underserved by the American medical system. Regular harassment and discrimination contribute to high rates of stress and—combined with adverse social, political, and economic risk factors—make transgender individuals significantly more likely to experience poor health outcomes. Structural, institutional, and individual barriers to access to care and a lack of cultural competency from many healthcare providers contribute to the disparities in health between transgender and cisgender populations.
The DMU TransHealth Series educates healthcare providers to identify and change the systemic barriers to care that cause transgender health inequities and improve knowledge about transgender-specific care.
Kathleen Kennedy Miller, MD
Dr. Kathleen (Katy) Miller is a board-certified pediatrician and board-eligible Adolescent Medicine specialist at Children's Minnesota. She works in the Adolescent Health and Gender Programs at Children's Minnesota. Her areas of interest include immigrant and refugee health, global adolescent health, medical management of eating disorders, and care for LGBTQ youth. She is committed to utilizing principles of reproductive justice and trauma-informed care, including a weight-neutral approach to care. She has worked in clinical & educational settings in North America and Latin America, East Africa, and India. When she is not at work, she spends time with her wife, son, and two dogs exploring the parks and lakes in Minneapolis. View her full biography.
No ineligible company provided financial support for this continuing education activity.
The speaker(s) will disclose if any pharmaceuticals, medical procedures, and devices discussed are investigational or unapproved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). The determination of educational content and the selection of speakers is the responsibility of the activity director.
Relevant to the content of this educational activity, the following individual(s) have no conflict(s) with ineligible companies to disclose.
- Samantha Anderson - Planning Committee Member
- Shika Andhole - Planning Committee Member
- Elizabeth Baker, PhD, MPH, CPH - Planning Committee Member
- Alina Beltrami, MS - Planning Committee Member
- Madison Chen - Planning Committee Member
- Alicia Ernst - Planning Committee Member
- Vanessa Gray, MHA, CMP, CHCP - Planning Committee Member
- Anna Geiger - Planning Committee Member
- Lindsay Mahaney - Planning Committee Member
- Katelyn Maliszewski - Planning Committee Member
- Kayla Matteo - Planning Committee Member
- Helena Mica - Activity Coordinator and Planning Committee Member
- Rianna Reimers - Planning Committee Member
- Claudia Xie - Planning Committee Member
The information provided at this activity is for continuing education purposes only. It is not meant to substitute for the independent medical judgment of a healthcare provider relative to diagnostic and treatment options of a specific patient’s medical condition. The content of each presentation does not necessarily reflect the views of Des Moines University.
- 1.00 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™
- 1.00 AOA Category 2A
- 1.00 CE Contact Hour(s)
- 1.00 CPME
- 1.00 IBON
There is no cost to attend, and all interested individuals are invited to participate.
Two attendance options:
- Des Moines University - No registration is necessary to attend on-site.
- Online - Register through Zoom.