Save a Life. Make a Recommendation: Emerging Themes in Cancer Screening - Hidden Dangers in the Mouth - How Dental Disease Impacts the Body
This activity aims to provide emerging cancer related information and resources specifically pertaining to breast and cervical cancer screening and prevention. Participants will gain an understanding of specific population health needs and emerging research in cancer screening and care.
Session Educational Need
Dental health is often considered a separate specialty instead of a crucial part of overall health. Health care professionals will be equipped with an understanding of how oral health is connected to the body, how the untreated disease is associated with increased health risk, and how to make appropriate referrals in their community.
Session Learning Objectives
- Recognize disease in the mouth impacts overall health.
- Implement an oral health assessment when treating patients.
- List the risks associated with untreated oral health disease.
- Refer a patient that needs oral health care.
Visit the links below to view the other sessions of the Save a Life. Make a Recommendation: Emerging Themes in Cancer Screening series.
Angela Friedmann, BAS, RDH
Community Oral Health Consultant, Iowa Department of Public Health
- BA - University of Iowa
- AS - Des Moines Area Community College
- MD: This activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the accreditation requirements and policies of the Iowa Medical Society (IMS) through the joint providership of Des Moines University (DMU) and Iowa State University. DMU is accredited by IMS to provide continuing medical education for physicians. DMU designates this live activity for a maximum of 1.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™. Physicians should only claim credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
- DO: Des Moines University (DMU) is accredited by the American Osteopathic Association (AOA) to provide osteopathic continuing medical education for physicians. DMU designates this activity for a maximum of 1.0 AOA Category 2-A credits and will report CME and specialty credits commensurate with the extent of the physician’s participation in this activity.
- Nurse: Des Moines University is Iowa Board of Nursing approved provider #112. This live activity has been reviewed and approved for 1.0 continuing education contact hour(s). No partial credit will be awarded.
- Other healthcare providers: This live activity is designated for 1.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™.
No ineligible company provided financial support for this continuing education activity.
Relevant to the content of this educational activity, the following individual(s) have no conflict(s) with ineligible companies to disclose.
- Coming soon.
The speaker(s) will disclose if any pharmaceuticals or medical procedures and devices discussed are investigational or unapproved for use by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Determination of educational content and the selection of speakers is the responsibility of the activity director.
The information provided at this activity is for continuing education purposes only and is not meant to substitute for the independent medical judgment of a healthcare provider relative to diagnostic and treatment options of a specific patient’s medical condition. The content of each presentation does not necessarily reflect the views of Des Moines University.
- 1.00 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™
- 1.00 AOA Category 2A
- 1.00 CE Contact Hour(s)
- 1.00 IBON