Spinal Motion Restriction and Special Considerations for Managing the Athlete: Collaboration of Care Among First Responders
RSVP by calling 515-271-1725 or emailing email@example.com.
The MidAmerican Energy RecPlex is a state-of-the-art facility in West Des Moines, where athletes and healthcare providers from around the community will have a chance to utilize the space. In the event of an emergency, our goal is to optimize outcomes and streamline care by solidifying an emergency action plan. Athletic trainers, EMT’s, and paramedics will collaborate and discuss current literature and recommendations for spinal motion restriction, especially for emergency situations on the ice. Further discussions will include equipment management, transportation of minors, pain management strategies, primary and secondary assessments.
Concussion education is still widely needed throughout the community. 3.8 million sports related concussions are diagnosed annually in the United States; however, it is estimated that on 50% of mild traumatic brain injuries are reported. (Broglio et al 2017; Iverson et al. 2017). Furthermore, the Rec Plex Facility and the Des Moines University Clinic Physical Therapy are new in the West Des Moines community.
This lecture will serve as educational platform to provide the most up to date research on concussion management for medical professions, coaches, parents, and plays. Spine boarding will allow for members of the Rec Plex, DMU, and West Des Moines community to come together and improve spine boarding techniques (on land and on the ice), as well as establish an emergency action plan to improve patient care and outcomes.
- Discuss the current research and practices for the use of selective spinal motion restriction.
- Apply the most appropriate WDM EMS protocols (specifically: A2, F4, F6, G46, G43, and A5) to the management of various simulated patients presenting with sports related injuries.
- Coordinate the response, care, and safe extrication of a simulated patient with a team composed of varying expertise and specialized equipment.
- Discuss the procedures for obtaining consent to transport minor patients with parents on or off site.
Hailey Ebacher, LAT, ATC
Athletic Trainer, Physical Therapy Clinic, Des Moines University
Lauren Mach, PT, DPT, CMPT, ATC
Head Athletic Trainer, Physical Therapy Clinic, Des Moines University
Mark McCulloch, NREMT-P, CCP
Deputy Chief of EMS, City of West Des Moines Emergency Medical Services
- MD: This activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the accreditation requirements and policies of the Iowa Medical Society (IMS). Des Moines University (DMU) is accredited by the IMS to provide continuing medical education for physicians. DMU designates this live activity for 1.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
- DO: Des Moines University (DMU) is accredited by the American Osteopathic Association (AOA) to provide osteopathic continuing medical education for physicians. DMU designates this program for a maximum of 1.0 AOA Category 1-B credits and will report CME and specialty credits commensurate with the extent of the physician’s participation in this activity.
- Nurse: Des Moines University is Iowa Board of Nursing approved provider #112. This live activity has been reviewed and approved for 1.0 continuing education contact hour(s). No partial credit awarded.
- Other healthcare providers: This live activity is designated for 1.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™.
No commercial interest provided financial support for this continuing education activity.
The speaker(s) will disclose if any pharmaceuticals or medical procedures and devices discussed are investigational or unapproved for use by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Determination of educational content and the selection of speakers is the responsibility of the activity director.
Relevant to the content of this educational activity, the following individual(s) have no conflict(s) with ineligible companies to disclose.
- Hailey Ebacher, LAT, ATC - Planning Committee Member and Speaker
- Lauren Mach, PT, DPT, CMPT, ATC - Activity Director and Speaker
- Mark McCulloch, NREMT-P, CCP - Planning Committee Member and Speaker
The information provided at this activity is for continuing education purposes only and is not meant to substitute for the independent medical judgment of a healthcare provider relative to diagnostic and treatment options of a specific patient’s medical condition. The content of each presentation does not necessarily reflect the views of Des Moines University.
- 1.00 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™
- 1.00 AOA Category 2A
- 1.00 CE Contact Hour(s)
- 1.00 IBON