On With Life Neuro Rehabilitation Conference + Concussion Symposium (Pre-Conference)
To educate healthcare providers on the assessment, treatment and management of acute and post-acute concussions. The workshop will cover the medical management of concussion, development of a treatment plan utilizing a transdisciplinary approach, the assessment and differential diagnosis of post-concussive disorders, the treatment of comorbidities such as cervical, oculomotor, or vestibular conditions, and decision criteria for return to play, learn and work, and the latest research on the long-term consequences of concussion. The workshop is designed to be interactive in nature with the use of case study examples.
Healthcare providers such as physicians, physician assistants, nurse practitioners, RNs, LPNs, CMAs, CNAs, therapists, therapy assistants, community workers, and worker’s compensation adjusters and case managers.
Introduction to the Physiology of Concussion: Acute and Post-Acute
Medical Assessment and Management of Concussion
Cervical Impairments, Headache Management and Vestibular
Vision Assessment / Treatment
Cognitive and Physical Fatigue: Assessment and Recovery
Case Study #1 – Peds/Adolescent Acute: Return to School / Play
Case Study #2 – Adult Post-Acute: Return to Work
Transdisciplinary Approach to Concussion Care and Treatment
|4:15 pm||Questions and Discussion|
Allison Logemann, PsyD, Neuropsychologist, On With Life
Dr. Allison Logemann joined the On With Life staff as a neuropsychologist in 2018. She has experience in rehabilitation and academic/medical settings and has worked with various populations such neurodegenerative diseases, TBI/concussion, stroke, ADHD, learning disabilities, presurgical evaluations for epilepsy, tumor resection, bariatric and spinal cord stimulator. She also has training in psychotherapy and working with individuals with chronic pain.
Jillian Jones, DPT, CBIS
Jillian is an Iowa-licensed physical therapist who received her doctorate degree in physical therapy from St. Ambrose University. She is passionate about working in the field of neurological rehabilitation, particularly in the field of brain injury. At On With Life she has had the opportunity to work in a multitude of settings which include inpatient, outpatient and long-term care, exposing her to brain injury rehabilitation through the continuum. She is a certified brain injury specialist through the Brain Injury Association of America and is a member of the Outpatient Complex Concussion Committee at On With Life. She has participated in research in collaboration with Drake University, specifically in the area of post-concussion syndrome. Jillian also serves on
the Concussion Specialist Certification Committee through the BIAA.
Joanna Judd, MA, CCC-SLP, CBIS, Speech Language Pathologist, On With Life
Joanna is an Iowa licensed speech-language pathologist and has worked at On With Life for the past two years. Joanna received her undergraduate degree in Communication Sciences and Disorders and her graduate degree in Speech-Language Pathology from the University of Northern Iowa. Joanna is a Certified Brain Injury Specialist and is a member of On With Life’s Outpatient Complex Concussion committee.
Emily Summerfield, OTR/L, CBIS
Emily Summerfield is an occupational therapist who has worked at On With Life for three years and has practiced in neuro rehabilitation for four years. Emily received her graduate/undergraduate degrees at College of Saint Mary in Omaha, NE. She is a certified brain injury specialist and certified LSVT clinician. Emily is a team member of the Complex Concussion Committee at On With Life.
Beth Triebel, OD, FCOVD, Optometrist, Vision Park Family Eye Care
Dr. Triebel joined Vision Park Family Eye Care in 1991 after graduating from the Pennsylvania College of Optometry. She specializes in vision therapy for both children and adults and practices family eye care. Dr. Triebel is a member of the Iowa and American Optometric Associations, the sports vision section and is a fellow of the College of Optometrists in Vision Development. In 1999 Dr. Triebel was named Young Optometrist of the Year by the Iowa Optometric Association and was its President in 2017. She takes a special interest in rehabilitative optometry by lecturing and consulting for patients with traumatic brain injuries, concussions and autism.
Barry Willer, PhD, University at Buffalo
Dr. Willer is currently a Professor in the Department of Psychiatry at State University of New York at Buffalo. He has spent more than 30 years studying brain injury and along with his colleague, Dr. John Leddy, has been a leader in the treatment and research of the physiological aspects of concussion. Their research has been the primary motivation for proactive approaches in the treatment of concussion and post-concussion syndrome. Dr. Willer’s team has conducted internationally published research in the areas of active rehabilitation and exercise following a concussion, guidelines on the return to play and the use of evidence-based protocols for the assessment and treatment of concussion.
Relevant to the content of this educational activity, the following individual(s) have no conflict(s) with commercial interest companies to disclose.
- Dave Anders, MS, CCC-SLP, CBIST, Speaker
- Jess Blough, COTA/L, CBIS, Speaker
- Abby Bogaards, MHA, Activity Director
- Ashley Coop, MOT, OTR/L, CBIS, Speaker
- Jillian Jones, DPT, CBIS, Speaker
- Joanna Judd, MA, CCC-SLP, CBIS, Speaker
- Bri Kappos, CBIS, Speaker
- Tracy Keninger, MS, CRC, ATP, Speaker
- Allison Logemann, PsyD, Speaker
- Gail McGaughy, PT, C/NDT, CLT, CBIS, Speaker and Planning Committee Member
- Tammy Miller, COTA/L, MHS, CBIST, CCM, Planning Committee Member
- Corey Morrison, Planning Committee Member
- Leslie Oba, CTRS, CBIS, Speaker
- Janice Plew, RN, CBIS, Planning Committee Member
- Stephanie Robinson, RN, Planning Committee Member
- Sarah Rowat, Speaker
- Elizabeth Stegemoller, PhD, Speaker
- Emily Summerfield, OTR/L, CBIS, Speaker
- Shawna Swain, MPAS, PA-C, Speaker
- Beth Triebel, OD, FCOVD, Speaker
- Barry Willer, PhD, Speaker
- Samantha Williams, OTR/L, CBIS, Speaker
- Jennifer Youngquist, Planning Committee Member
A limited number of rooms have been set aside for September 11 and 12 at the Courtyard by Marriott in Ankeny. To reserve your room, call 515-422-5555 and identify yourself as attending the On With Life Conference to get the conference rate of $119 before August 24.
From Interstate 35 (I-35)
Take I-35 either North or South to Ankeny.
Take the Oralabor Road exit (same as airport) & Go West
If you are coming from the north, this is a right turn
If you are coming from the south, this is a left turn.
After driving about 2 miles, you will run into South Ankeny Blvd.
Turn right onto South Ankeny Blvd.
Turn left on DMACC Blvd.
Turn right on SW Campus Court
From Interstate 80 (I-80) in Des Moines
Take the 2nd Avenue exit north (Highway 415).
Drive to Oralabor Road in Ankeny.
Turn right on Oralabor Road.
Turn left at the first stoplight—DMACC Blvd.
Turn left on SW Campus Court
CONTINUING EDUCATION CREDIT
- MD: This activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the accreditation requirements and policies of the Iowa Medical Society (IMS) through the joint providership of Des Moines University (DMU) and On with Life. DMU is accredited by IMS to provide continuing medical education for physicians. DMU designates this live activity for a maximum of 7.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™. Physicians should only claim credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
- DO: Des Moines University (DMU) is accredited by the American Osteopathic Association (AOA) to provide osteopathic continuing medical education for physicians. DMU designates this program for a maximum of 7.0 AOA Category 2-A credits and will report CME and specialty credits commensurate with the extent of the physician’s participation in this activity.
- Nurse: Des Moines University is Iowa Board of Nursing approved provider #112. This live activity has been reviewed and approved for 7.0 continuing education contact hour(s). Nurses must attend the entire session within each day to receive credit. Partial session credit is prohibited and will be forfeited.
- Other Healthcare Professionals: This live activity is designated for a maximum of 7.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™.
No commercial interest company provided financial support for this continuing education activity.
Everyone in a position to control the content of this educational activity will disclose to the CME provider and to attendees all relevant financial relationships with any commercial interest. They will also disclose if any pharmaceuticals or medical procedures and devices discussed are investigational or unapproved for use by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Determination of educational content and the selection of speakers is the responsibility of the activity director. Firms providing financial support did not have input in these areas. The information provided at this CME activity is for continuing education purposes only and is not meant to substitute for the independent medical judgment of a healthcare provider relative to diagnostic and treatment options of a specific patient’s medical condition. The content of each presentation does not necessarily reflect the views of Des Moines University.
- 7.00 AOA Category 2A
- 7.00 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™
- 7.00 IBON
- 7.00 CE Contact Hour(s)