Physician Business Leadership Certificate Program - Session 2
If you have questions, contact Corey Martin at firstname.lastname@example.org or 515-288-1955.
Emerging and aspiring physician leaders.
Providers today are facing an era of change unlike any before. Reform policies shifting requirements and fiscal uncertainty create a chaotic atmosphere for professionals as well as providers. During times like these, strong leaders who demonstrate innovation and focused decision-making abilities are required. Participants in this program will gain the tools to become successful leaders in today’s complex health care environment.
The Physician Business Leadership Certificate is achieved through attending four in-person sessions scheduled quarterly, along with additional requirements in networking and involvement with other industry activities. The content includes three areas of focus:
- Foundational Leadership Skills: fundamental leadership and business skills;
- Equipping for Health Care Today: topics helping physicians improve their execution, efficiency, and effectiveness; and
- Hot Topics: issues in health care delivery currently impacting physicians, e.g., the opioid crisis, behavioral health issues.
Providers are taught early on in medical school to have driven outcomes based on their abilities. Their focus is medical training and not team development or business acumen. This program identifies that providers need to have opportunities to learn about team structures, business acumen, administrative responsibilities and current health care landscapes if they are to be successful providers.
Delegation and Time Management Skills for Leaders (Non-CE)
Time is the most valuable resource and it is used will determine a leader’s effectiveness in the workplace. New leaders need to learn to delegate well or they will constantly be swamped by work.
Health Care Finance for Leaders
Strong financial skills are necessary for effective leadership in today’s health care environment. This session will better equip physician leaders for the financial management responsibilities of their position.
Case Study Review
In this session, participants will work in small groups to review real health care case studies and report out to the larger group on the case and their responses. Faculty and guests will have a chance to interact and recommend additional strategies to the case which will foster greater learning for each situation presented.
Relevant to the content of this educational activity, the following individual(s) do not have any financial relationship(s) with commercial interest companies to disclose.
- Rebecca Anthony, Planning Committee Member
- Tammy Chance, DO, Planning Committee Member and Moderator
- Marygrace Elson, MD, MME, Speaker and Moderator
- Tom Evans, MD, FAAFP, Planning Committee Member and Moderator
- Mike Flesher, Planning Committee Member
- Susan Horras, Speaker
- Corey J. Martin, Activity Director and Planning Committee Member
Blue Zones Initiative to Eat Wisely
The Iowa Hospital Association has made a commitment to support your health by designing all meals and snacks to follow the Blue Zones philosophy. Blue Zones guidelines are designed to nourish your body, leaving you feeling satisfied, alert and awake. IHA practices mindful eating by encouraging you to slow down and enjoy the flavors in your food. If you have any dietary restrictions or allergies, please contact Ellen Waller at email@example.com.
Iowa Hospital Association now has an official discounted corporate rate at the listed hotels that attendees can use for overnight accommodations if needed. The discounted rate is being offered to IHA event attendees on a “non-last room” availability, meaning that there are times when this rate will not be available to book due to high demand in the area so it is important to book early if you think you may need arrangements. When calling, please reference the corporate ID.
Staybridge Suites Des Moines Downtown
Corporate Rate: $129 per night + taxes
Corporate ID #:786828419
Embassy Suites Des Moines Downtown
Corporate Rate: $139 per night + taxes
Corporate ID #:560001333
Tom Evans, MD, FAAFP
President and CEO, Iowa Healthcare Collaborative
Tom Evans, MD has been President and CEO of the Iowa Healthcare Collaborative (IHC) since 2005. IHC focuses provider-led initiatives to improve statewide healthcare performance through engagement of stakeholders, rapid deployment of best practice, and public reporting of clinical performance data. IHC has been recognized as one of 26 national Hospital Engagement Networks (HEN) driving to achieve the CMS Partnership for Patients initiative goals.
Dr. Evans received both BA and MA degrees from Drake University. He received his MD degree from the University of Iowa in 1983 and completed his Family Medicine residency at Broadlawns Medical Center in 1986. He practiced family medicine for 13 years before serving as Chief Medical Officer for the Iowa Health System from 1999 to 2005.
Dr. Evans has served as President of both the Iowa Medical Society and the Iowa Academy of Family Physicians. He has also served on the delegations for both the American Medical Association (AMA) and the American Academy of Family Physicians (AAFP). Dr. Evans has served on the Board for the National Patient Safety Foundation (NPSF), and currently serves on the board of the Network for Regional Healthcare Improvement (NRHI). He is the chair of Iowa’s Medical Home System Advisory Council, works with the National Quality Forum’s (NQF) Measures Application Partnership and is leading the National Priorities Partnership (NPP) Medication Safety Affinity Group.
Dr. Evans is a faculty member with the Institute for Healthcare Improvement, the College of Medicine at Des Moines University, and the College of Public Health at the University of Iowa. He also serves on the Board of Trustees for Bethel University in St. Paul, Minnesota.
- DO: Des Moines University (DMU) is accredited by the American Osteopathic Association (AOA) to provide osteopathic continuing medical education for physicians. DMU designates this program for a maximum of 2.0 AOA Category 2-A credits and will report CME and specialty credits commensurate with the extent of the physician’s participation in this activity.
- MD: This activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the accreditation requirements and policies of the Iowa Medical Society (IMS) through the joint providership of Des Moines University (DMU) and the Iowa Hospital Association. DMU is accredited by IMS to provide continuing medical education for physicians. DMU designates this live activity for a maximum of 2.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)TM. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
- Other Health Professionals: This live activity is designated for 2.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)TM.
No commercial interest company provided financial support for this continuing education activity.
Everyone in a position to control the content of this educational activity will disclose to the CME provider and to attendees all relevant financial relationships with any commercial interest. The speaker(s) will disclose if any pharmaceuticals or medical procedures and devices discussed are investigational or unapproved for use by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Determination of educational content and the selection of speakers is the responsibility of the activity director. Firms providing financial support did not have input in these areas.
The information provided at this activity is for continuing education purposes only and is not meant to substitute for the independent medical judgment of a healthcare provider relative to diagnostic and treatment options of a specific patient’s medical condition. The content of each presentation does not necessarily reflect the views of Des Moines University.
- 2.00 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™
- 2.00 AOA Category 2A
- 2.00 CE Contact Hour(s)