Physician Business Leadership Certificate Program - Session 1
If you have questions, contact Corey Martin at firstname.lastname@example.org or 515-288-1955.
Emerging and aspiring physician leaders.
Providers today are facing an era of change unlike any before. Reform policies shifting requirements and fiscal uncertainty create a chaotic atmosphere for professionals as well as providers. During times like these, strong leaders who demonstrate innovation and focused decision-making abilities are required. Participants in this program will gain the tools to become successful leaders in today’s complex health care environment.
The Physician Business Leadership Certificate is achieved through attending four in-person sessions scheduled quarterly, along with additional requirements in networking and involvement with other industry activities. The content includes three areas of focus:
- Foundational Leadership Skills: fundamental leadership and business skills.
- Equipping for Health Care Today: topics helping physicians improve their execution, efficiency, and effectiveness.
- Hot Topics: issues in health care delivery currently impacting physicians, e.g., the opioid crisis, behavioral health issues.
|8 am||Registration and Breakfast|
Welcome and Introductions
|9 am||Foundational Leadership Skills - Why Are You Here?|
Jim McKenna, MBA, PCC, Owner, James McKenna Organization
Foundational Leadership Skills - Leading Effective Teams
The risks and rewards regarding health care outcomes are greater now than ever before. There’s more data, more transparency, more patients and more complexity, as well as, more sharing, more growth, more innovation and more compassion for caregivers. All of these remind us of our rich opportunity for best minds in health care to come together to discover and inspire the next, new advances in medical breakthroughs, for your patients, for yourselves and for the communities you serve.
In this course, participants will have the opportunity to work together in small groups and individually (introspectively) to explore the core tenets of effective teamwork, specific to health care and to physician led, multidisciplinary teams. Physician leaders today are often tasked with achieving results not only for their patients, their teams and their organizations, all the while attempting to delicately balance their own work-life pressures in a sustainable, non-harmful, yet fulfilling way. This course offers providers the proven insights, tools, research and thinking space for introspection. Physician leaders will walk away with concrete methods, best practices and resources for immediate use and impact upon return to their home organizations/teams/groups.
Hot Topics – Practical Approach to Walking in Balance
Physician burnout has become a major issue within the health care landscape. This session will examine how work-life balance can help offset burnout. Participants will complete an inventory of their current burnout avoidance strategies, review wellness systems for providers, develop practical approaches to combat emotional exhaustion and find ways to transform stress into healthy growth.
Time to Move Upstream and ‘Invest’ in our Health: Addressing Social Determinants of Health and Population Health Management
Health care costs continue to outpace general inflation, typically by two-fold. The major source of this problem is the unhealthy population. “Upstream” environmental factors greatly impact “downstream” health. Upstream factors include poor nutrition, inadequate housing and education and low incomes – all considered to be social determinants of health. Addressing the overall health of the community extends beyond providing medical care and starts early in childhood. To meaningfully address the health of Iowans, health care providers must consider new approaches, develop social programs and explore new solutions “upstream”.
|3:45 pm||Closing Remarks and Session Wrap-Up|
Tammy Chance, DO, IHA Board Member, ED Medical Director, Boone County Hospital, Boone
Michael Romano, MD, MHA, Nebraska Health Network, Council Bluffs
Tom Evans, MD, FAAFP, Iowa Healthcare Collaborative, Des Moines
Relevant to the content of this educational activity, the following individual(s) have no conflict(s) with commercial interest companies to disclose.
- Becky Anthony, Planning Committee Member
- Reid Blackwelder, MD, Speaker
- Tammy Chance, DO, Speaker
- Tom Evans, MD, FAAFP, Speaker
- Mike Flesher, Planning Committee Member
- Corey J. Martin, Activity Director and Planning Committee Member
- Jim McKenna, MBA, PCC, Speaker
- Jen Nutt, Planning Committee Member
- Michael Romano, MD, MHA, Speaker
- Yogesh Shah, MD, Speaker
- Pamela Williams, Planning Committee Member
Blue Zones Initiative to Eat Wisely
The Iowa Hospital Association has made a commitment to support your health by designing all meals and snacks to follow the Blue Zones philosophy. Blue Zones guidelines are designed to nourish your body, leaving you feeling satisfied, alert and awake. IHA practices mindful eating by encouraging you to slow down and enjoy the flavors in your food. If you have any dietary restrictions or allergies, please contact Ellen Waller at email@example.com.
Iowa Hospital Association now has an official discounted corporate rate at the listed hotels that attendees can use for overnight accommodations if needed. The discounted rate is being offered to IHA event attendees on a “non-last room” availability, meaning that there are times when this rate will not be available to book due to high demand in the area so it is important to book early if you think you may need arrangements. When calling, please reference the corporate ID.
Staybridge Suites Des Moines Downtown
Corporate Rate: $129 per night + taxes
Corporate ID #:786828419
Embassy Suites Des Moines Downtown
Corporate Rate: $139 per night + taxes
Corporate ID #:560001333
- DO: Des Moines University (DMU) is accredited by the American Osteopathic Association (AOA) to provide osteopathic continuing medical education for physicians. DMU designates this program for a maximum of 5.75 AOA Category 2-A credits and will report CME and specialty credits commensurate with the extent of the physician’s participation in this activity.
- MD: This activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the accreditation requirements and policies of the Iowa Medical Society (IMS) through the joint providership of Des Moines University (DMU) and the Iowa Hospital Association. DMU is accredited by IMS to provide continuing medical education for physicians. DMU designates this live activity for a maximum of 5.75 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)TM. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
- AAFP: This Live activity, Physician Business Leadership Certificate Program, with a beginning date of 02/28/2019, has been reviewed and is acceptable for up to 23.00 Prescribed credit(s) by the American Academy of Family Physicians. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
- Other Health Professionals: This live activity is designated for 5.75 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)TM.
No commercial interest company provided financial support for this continuing education activity.
Everyone in a position to control the content of this educational activity will disclose to the CME provider and to attendees all relevant financial relationships with any commercial interest. They will also disclose if any pharmaceuticals or medical procedures and devices discussed are investigational or unapproved for use by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Determination of educational content and the selection of speakers is the responsibility of the activity director. Firms providing financial support did not have input in these areas. The information provided at this CME activity is for continuing education purposes only and is not meant to substitute for the independent medical judgment of a healthcare provider relative to diagnostic and treatment options of a specific patient’s medical condition. The content of each presentation does not necessarily reflect the views of Des Moines University.
- 5.75 AAFP
- 5.75 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™
- 5.75 AOA Category 2A
- 5.75 CE Contact Hour(s)