Physician Business Leadership Certificate Program - Session 2
If you have questions, contact Corey Martin at firstname.lastname@example.org or 515-288-1955.
Emerging and aspiring physician leaders.
Providers today are facing an era of change unlike any before. Reform policies shifting requirements and fiscal uncertainty create a chaotic atmosphere for professionals as well as providers. During times like these, strong leaders who demonstrate innovation and focused decision-making abilities are required. Participants in this program will gain the tools to become successful leaders in today’s complex health care environment.
The Physician Business Leadership Certificate is achieved through attending four in-person sessions scheduled quarterly, along with additional requirements in networking and involvement with other industry activities. The content includes three areas of focus:
- Foundational Leadership Skills: fundamental leadership and business skills.
- Equipping for Health Care Today: topics helping physicians improve their execution, efficiency, and effectiveness.
- Hot Topics: issues in health care delivery currently impacting physicians, e.g., the opioid crisis, behavioral health issues.
|8 am||Registration and Breakfast|
Welcome and Introductions
|9 am||Foundational Leadership Skills - Why Are You Here?|
Jim McKenna, MBA, PCC, Owner, James McKenna Organization
Leading Others: Essential Skills Needed to Lead in Today’s Dynamic Healthcare World
Remarkable change has occurred in US health care in recent years, and the pace is not slowing. These changes have encompassed not only marked change to health care delivery models that affect how we organize and lead our clinical practices, but also significant experimentation with different ways to pay for that health care delivery requiring a solid understanding of value-based contracting.
The move to value-based payment in health care has connected quality, cost, and risk in ways that physician leaders need to understand and be able to address and communicate. At the same time, technology continues to impact health care is unprecedented ways, from more complete and complex EHR use, to rapidly increasing patient monitoring/reporting technology, to population management software, to telehealth and improved communication opportunities, to apps for nearly everything imaginable. These profound and rapid transformation trends in US health care have placed new demands on physician leaders in terms of the skills needed to succeed. This session will explore those essential skills needed to lead others effectively through a time of rapid health care change.
2019 CMS Quality Payment Program, Provider Financial Services and ACO Program Changes
Awareness surrounding value-based reimbursement developments is more critical than ever for Iowa’s economic vitality across the spectrum. These trends have a trajectory that we want to be involved in constructing and continuously improving. The focus of more mature value-based reimbursement is on collaboration and integrated systems of care, with a patient-centered design. Recognizing each of our unique contributions, we can help formulate practical opportunities resulting in better care, improved safety and increased value for the patient
Behavioral and Mental Health Care
Participants will learn about key operational, legal and financial issues impacting care of Iowans with mental health and addiction issues, including: Emergency Department Issues (EMTALA, Boarding Patients, Psych Bed shortage), Safety (Patients, Providers, Guests, Staff), Psych Patients on Medical Floors (med/surg, ICU), Inpatient Psych Units (Placement Issues), Stigma, Types of Psych providers, Levels of Care, and Provider Self Care – Your wellbeing.
Data and Decision Making
As a health care practitioner, the use of data for patient care is very natural and is used daily to make decisions. This informative session will assist providers in using data for informed decision making and improve their environment for patient care. Following the session, participants will have the knowledge to be more equipped to face the challenges of data analytics in health care operations.
|3:45 pm||Closing Remarks and Session Wrap-Up|
Tammy Chance, DO, IHA Board Member, ED Medical Director, Boone County Hospital, Boone
Michael Romano, MD, MHA, Nebraska Health Network, Council Bluffs
Tom Evans, MD, FAAFP, Iowa Healthcare Collaborative, Des Moines
Relevant to the content of this educational activity, the following individual(s) do not have any financial relationship(s) with commercial interest companies to disclose.
- Becky Anthony, Planning Committee Member
- Kevin Carroll, Speaker
- Tammy Chance, DO, Speaker
- Tom Evans, MD, FAAFP, Speaker
- Mike Flesher, Planning Committee Member
- Corey J. Martin, Activity Director and Planning Committee Member
- Jen Nutt, Planning Committee Member
- Sarah Pavelka, PhD, MHA, OTR/L, CPHQ, FNAHQ, Speaker
- Michael Romano, MD, MHA, Speaker
- Pamela Williams, Planning Committee Member
Relevant to the content of this educational activity, the following individual(s) have a financial relationship(s) with commercial interest companies to disclose.
- Don Klittgard, MD, FAAFP, Self-managed stock shareholder in MedLink Advantage
Blue Zones Initiative to Eat Wisely
The Iowa Hospital Association has made a commitment to support your health by designing all meals and snacks to follow the Blue Zones philosophy. Blue Zones guidelines are designed to nourish your body, leaving you feeling satisfied, alert and awake. IHA practices mindful eating by encouraging you to slow down and enjoy the flavors in your food. If you have any dietary restrictions or allergies, please contact Ellen Waller at email@example.com.
Iowa Hospital Association now has an official discounted corporate rate at the listed hotels that attendees can use for overnight accommodations if needed. The discounted rate is being offered to IHA event attendees on a “non-last room” availability, meaning that there are times when this rate will not be available to book due to high demand in the area so it is important to book early if you think you may need arrangements. When calling, please reference the corporate ID.
Staybridge Suites Des Moines Downtown
Corporate Rate: $129 per night + taxes
Corporate ID #:786828419
Embassy Suites Des Moines Downtown
Corporate Rate: $139 per night + taxes
Corporate ID #:560001333
- DO: Des Moines University (DMU) is accredited by the American Osteopathic Association (AOA) to provide osteopathic continuing medical education for physicians. DMU designates this program for a maximum of 5.75 AOA Category 2-A credits and will report CME and specialty credits commensurate with the extent of the physician’s participation in this activity.
- MD: This activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the accreditation requirements and policies of the Iowa Medical Society (IMS) through the joint providership of Des Moines University (DMU) and the Iowa Hospital Association. DMU is accredited by IMS to provide continuing medical education for physicians. DMU designates this live activity for a maximum of 5.75 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)TM. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
- AAFP: This Live activity, Physician Business Leadership Certificate Program, with a beginning date of 02/28/2019, has been reviewed and is acceptable for up to 23.00 Prescribed credit(s) by the American Academy of Family Physicians. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
- Other Health Professionals: This live activity is designated for 5.75 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)TM.
No commercial interest company provided financial support for this continuing education activity.
Everyone in a position to control the content of this educational activity will disclose to the CME provider and to attendees all relevant financial relationships with any commercial interest. They will also disclose if any pharmaceuticals or medical procedures and devices discussed are investigational or unapproved for use by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Determination of educational content and the selection of speakers is the responsibility of the activity director. Firms providing financial support did not have input in these areas. The information provided at this CME activity is for continuing education purposes only and is not meant to substitute for the independent medical judgment of a healthcare provider relative to diagnostic and treatment options of a specific patient’s medical condition. The content of each presentation does not necessarily reflect the views of Des Moines University.
- 5.75 AAFP
- 5.75 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™
- 5.75 AOA Category 2A
- 5.75 CE Contact Hour(s)