Integrating OPP Competencies Across the Curriculum (Part One)
This session is the first in a series of three workshops that will provide faculty with an overview of Osteopathic Principles and Practices (OPP) and explore the potential for integrating osteopathic competencies across the COM curriculum. Discussion will focus on key concepts, definitions and practices within osteopathic medicine that can be applied to a wide range of instructional and assessment activities.
By attending this session, participants will be able to:
- Apply the language of osteopathy to the delivery of both basic and clinical science courses
- Integrate OPP competency development within existing instructional and assessment activities
- Identify the potential for linking demonstrated OPP teaching/assessment approaches across the curriculum
- Critically advise students with regard to preparing for practicals, simulation experiences and board exams
- Access a toolkit of DMU-COM resources to support OPP competency integration
Katherine Heineman, DO
Chair and Assistant Professor, Osteopathic Manual Medicine, Des Moines University
Assistant Professor, Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine Program, Des Moines University
Clinician, Osteopathic Manual Medicine Clinic, Des Moines University
No commercial interest provided financial support for this continuing education activity.
Continuing Education Credit
- MD: This activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the accreditation requirements and policies of the Iowa Medical Society (IMS). Des Moines University (DMU) is accredited by the IMS to provide continuing medical education for physicians. DMU designates this live activity for 1.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
- DO: Des Moines University (DMU) is accredited by the American Osteopathic Association (AOA) to provide osteopathic continuing medical education for physicians. DMU designates this program for a maximum of 1.0 AOA Category 1-A credits and will report CME and specialty credits commensurate with the extent of the physician’s participation in this activity.
- Other healthcare providers: This live activity is designated for 1.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™.
- 1.00 AOA Category 1A
- 1.00 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™
- 1.00 CE Contact Hour(s)