RefWorks Master Class: Citing, Writing, and Managing Your Research
Once you're logged in, click the green "ENTER" button found in the Course Summary box to the right. Your registration will then be confirmed.
This course is part of the Des Moines University Library Nerdfest Series.
Des Moines University faculty and staff.
This class will introduce you to the key elements you & your students need to know to help you accomplish your clinical, research, and educational goals.
RefWorks is a web‐based bibliography and database manager that allows you to create your own personal database by importing references from text files or online databases and other various sources. With RefWorks you can also use these references to easily generate bibliographies (as well as in‐text citations and footnotes) with easy‐to‐use word processor plugins. This class will focus on how to add references to your RefWorks account and how to organize your research within the database.
By the end of class participants will be able to independently explain key concepts and/or perform the following skills as indicated by the observation of the instructor and student’s self‐assessment:
- Identify where to download RefGrabit! from the toolbar menu and successfully download and install this Microsoft Word add-on.
- Use RefGrabit! to capture a citation from a CDC website and from PubMed.
- Add references using Direct Export (Scopus, Ebscohost Databases, Proquest Databases).
- Add References by Importing text files (Pubmed).
- Demonstrate how to manage references by creating, locating, moving, removing, saving and sharing folders and citations.
- Locate and identify the citation toolbar and learn to delete and edit citations, attach PDF documents to a reference, and obtain full text or order via Interlibrary Loan.
- Identify the library’s guide to RefWorks at http://lib.dmu.edu/db/refworks in order to access further training materials.
Rebecca Hines, MLIS
Education Librarian, Des Moines University
Ms. Hines indicated she has no financial relationships to disclose relevant to the content of this CME activity.
ACRL Information Literacy
- Standard Two: The information literate student accesses needed information effectively and efficiently (5)
Fundamental Osteopathic Medical Competency Domains: Guidelines for Osteopathic Medical Licensure and the Practice of Osteopathic Medicine
- Practice‐Based Learning and Improvement in Osteopathic Medicine (4.7.1)
National Center for Healthcare Leadership (NCHL) Health Leadership Competency Model
- Information Seeking (L11.5)
The American Physical Therapy Association 2014 Strategic Plan
- Professional Excellence Goal 3.c
The National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants: Competencies for the Physician Assistant Profession
- Practice‐Based Learning and Improvement
Association of Schools and Programs of Public Health: MPH Core Competency Model
- Communication and Informatics
Continuing Education Credit
- DPM: Des Moines University (DMU) is approved by the Council on Podiatric Medical Education as a provider of continuing education in podiatric medicine. DMU has approved this live activity for a maximum of 1.0 continuing education contact hour(s).
- MD: This activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the accreditation requirements and policies of the Iowa Medical Society (IMS). Des Moines University (DMU) is accredited by the IMS to provide continuing medical education for physicians. DMU designates this live activity for 1.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
- DO: Des Moines University (DMU) is accredited by the American Osteopathic Association (AOA) and approves this live activity for 1.0 AOA Category 1-A CME credit(s).
- Other: This live activity is designated for 1.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™.
No commercial interest provided financial support for this continuing education activity.
Can't get enough Nerd?!
Library Appy Hour - 1 remaining Friday in July from 2-3pm in SEC #281
- July 24 - RSVP
- 1.00 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™
- 1.00 AOA Category 1A
- 1.00 CE Contact Hour(s)
- 1.00 CPME