Database Showcase: Natural Medicines
Once you're logged in, click the green "ENTER" button found in the Course Summary box to the right. Your registration will then be confirmed.
This course is part of the Des Moines University Library Nerdfest Series.
Des Moines University faculty and staff.
This class will introduce you to the key elements you and your students need to know to help you accomplish your clinical, research, and educational goals.
Natural Medicines provides access to evidence‐based, peer‐reviewed information on foods, herbs, supplements and natural therapies. Database coverage includes efficacy, adverse effects, interactions, pregnancy, lactation, pharmacology, toxicology, dosing, standardization, and products tested by third‐party laboratories.
By the end of class participants will be able to independently explain key concepts and/or perform the following skills as indicated by the observation of the instructor and student’s self‐assessment:
- Identify the various databases/monographs including Food, Herbs & Supplements, Health and Wellness, Sports Medicine, Comparative Effectiveness, Medical Conditions, Manufacturers, and Commercial Products.
- Demonstrate basic vs. advanced search features.
- Explain the Tools/checkers including Interaction, Nutrient, Effectiveness, Adverse Effects, Pregnancy & Lactation, and Natural MedWatch.
- Describe the CME Center.
- Demonstrate Colleagues interact.
- Describe the eNewsletter.
- Identify how to locate further training materials from the DMU library at: http://lib.dmu.edu/db/naturalmedicines.
Rebecca Hines, MLIS
Education Librarian, Des Moines University
Ms. Hines indicated she has no financial relationships to disclose relevant to the content of this CME activity.
ACRL Information Literacy
- Standard Two: The information literate student accesses needed information effectively and efficiently (2, 4, 5)
Fundamental Osteopathic Medical Competency Domains: Guidelines for Osteopathic Medical Licensure and the Practice of Osteopathic Medicine
- Application of Knowledge for Osteopathic Medical Practice (3.1.3, 3.1.4, 3.2.2, 3.2.3)
- Practice‐Based Learning and Improvement in Osteopathic Medicine (4.3.2, 4.3.3, 4.7.1)
- Professionalism in the Practice of Osteopathic Medicine (6.5.1, 6.5.4, 6.5.6)
Curricular Guide for Podiatric Medical Education ‐ AACPM Council of Faculties 2014 Edition
- Epidemiology (13)
National Center for Healthcare Leadership (NCHL) Health Leadership Competency Model
- Information Seeking (L11.4, L11.5)
The American Physical Therapy Association 2014 Strategic Plan
- Effectiveness of Care Goal 1.b
- Professional Excellence Goal 3.c
The National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants: Competencies for the Physician Assistant Profession
- Practice‐Based Learning and Improvement
Association of Schools and Programs of Public Health: MPH Core Competency Model
- Communication and Informatics
Continuing Education Credit
- DPM: Des Moines University (DMU) is approved by the Council on Podiatric Medical Education as a provider of continuing education in podiatric medicine. DMU has approved this live activity for a maximum of 1.0 continuing education contact hour(s).
- MD: This activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the accreditation requirements and policies of the Iowa Medical Society (IMS). Des Moines University (DMU) is accredited by the IMS to provide continuing medical education for physicians. DMU designates this live activity for 1.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
- DO: Des Moines University (DMU) is accredited by the American Osteopathic Association (AOA) and approves this live activity for 1.0 AOA Category 1-A CME credit(s).
- Other: This live activity is designated for 1.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™.
No commercial interest provided financial support for this continuing education activity.
Can't get enough Nerd?!
Library Appy Hour - 1 remaining Friday in July from 2-3pm in SEC #281
- July 24 - RSVP
- 0.50 AOA Category 1A
- 0.50 CPME
- 0.50 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™
- 0.50 CE Contact Hour(s)