NAMI Mental Health Train the Trainer Workshop
This is a private course and registrations are not being accepted.
This is a staff development program for health care professionals who work directly with people experiencing mental illness. It's important to understand the unique challenges people and families experience when facing a mental health challenge: social isolation, complex family dynamics and the unpredictability of illness.
This program offers the tools health care professionals need to combine the medical and recovery models of care so you can better serve your clients. It's designed to help enhance the relationships you have with the person in your care and with their family.
- Recognize the traumatic impact that mental illness has on the person and the family, even in times of wellness.
- View lived experience as an important perspective that enhances the care health care professionals provide.
- Learn about the collaborative model of care and how to incorporate it into their treatment services.
- Learn the emotional stages of response to mental illness experienced by the individual and their family.
- Identify why health care professionals may want to refer families and caregivers to NAMI programs.
|March 23, 2018|
|9 am||Registration and Light Breakfast|
|10:45 am||Class One: Understanding the Experience of Mental Illness|
|1:30 pm||Class Two: Supporting predictable emotions and needs|
|4 pm||Class Three: Empathy's Role in Effective Treatment|
|7 pm||Telling Our 5-Minute Story|
|March 24, 2018|
|8:30 am||Class 4: Psychological Elements of Collaborative Care|
|10:30 am||Class 5: Applying Collaborative Principles|
|1:30 pm||Conclusion and Group Processing|
Des Moines University is located on a 22-acre campus in the heart of Des Moines, Iowa. Just west of downtown on Grand Avenue, the University is located in one of Des Moines’ most prestigious neighborhoods. The campus is in a historic neighborhood filled with tree-lined streets and gracious older homes and businesses. Its central location makes it easy to access the rest of the city and outlying communities. The campus is close to the Des Moines International Airport, located on the bus line and just blocks from local shopping and downtown Des Moines.
Teri Brister, PhD, LPC
Director, Information & Support, Information, Support and Education, NAMI
Dr, Brister ensures that all content created and disseminated by NAMI attains the highest possible standards of accuracy, relevance, value and academic rigor. She is the author of NAMI Basics and co-author of NAMI Homefront.
Prior to joining NAMI in 2005, Teri worked for 20 years in the community mental health system in Mississippi. She held both clinical and administrative roles, including assistant executive director in two different centers. Teri received her PhD in public policy and administration from Jackson State University, and her BS and M.S. degrees in counseling psychology from the University of Southern Mississippi. She is a licensed professional counselor in Mississippi.
Relevant to the content of this CME activity, Dr. Brister and the planning committee indicated they have no financial relationships with commercial interest companies to disclose.
- MD: This activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the accreditation requirements and policies of the Iowa Medical Society (IMS). Des Moines University (DMU) is accredited by the IMS to provide continuing medical education for physicians. DMU designates this live activity for 13.75 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
- DO: Des Moines University (DMU) is accredited by the American Osteopathic Association (AOA) to provide osteopathic continuing medical education for physicians. DMU designates this program for a maximum of 13.75 AOA Category 2-A credits and will report CME and specialty credits commensurate with the extent of the physician’s participation in this activity.
- Nurses: Des Moines University continuing education is Iowa Board of Nursing approved provider #112. This live activity has been reviewed and approved for 13.75 continuing education contact hour(s). No partial credit awarded.
- Other health providers: This live activity is designated for 13.75 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™.
No commercial interest company provided financial support for this continuing education activity.
Everyone in a position to control the content of this educational activity will disclose to the CME provider and to attendees all relevant financial relationships with any commercial interest. They will also disclose if any pharmaceuticals or medical procedures and devices discussed are investigational or unapproved for use by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Determination of educational content and the selection of speakers is the responsibility of the activity director. Firms providing financial support did not have input in these areas. The information provided at this CME activity is for continuing education purposes only and is not meant to substitute for the independent medical judgment of a healthcare provider relative to diagnostic and treatment options of a specific patient’s medical condition. The content of each presentation does not necessarily reflect the views of Des Moines University.
- 13.75 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™
- 13.75 AOA Category 2A
- 13.75 CE Contact Hour(s)
- 13.75 IBON