If you have questions, please contact Kayla Sankey, MPH at 515-204-9154 or Kayla.Sankey@idph.iowa.gov.
The purpose of the Motivational Interviewing Training event is to introduce training participants to the application of Motivational Interviewing in health change and enhance the skills of health providers proficient in Motivational Interviewing strategies to maximize the application of clinical strategies.
Through a training needs assessment completed by the Promoting Integration of Primary and Behavioral Health Care (PIPBHC) providers, they identified a need for additional Motivational Interviewing training. This training will address how behavioral health staff can collaborate between a primary and behavioral setting. It will also support the improvement of integrated care models for primary and behavioral health care to improve overall wellness and physical health status of adults with serious mental illness (SMI) and adults with substance use disorders (SUD).
- Apply the four fundamental processes of Motivational Interviewing (MI).
- Practice how to support behavior change using MI strategies.
- Leave with practical ideas and plans for integrating MI into their daily work.
|Engaging: Readiness for Change and Human Behavior
|Focusing: Open-Ended Inquiry, Affirmations, Reflections, Summaries
|Evoking: Change Talk and Readiness
|Planning: Goal Setting, Fidelity, and Sustainability
Laura Leone, D.S.W, M.S.S.W, L.M.S.W.
Integrated Health Consultant, National Council for Behavioral Health
Dr. Laura has worked in the behavioral health field for over 20 years as well as, provided training and consultation nationally on Integrated Care, Trauma-Informed Care, mental health, substance use, suicide prevention, evidence-based practices and models. Ms. Leone has published and presented for the National Council for Behavioral Health, American Association for Suicidology, New York Association for Play Therapy and the Society for Social Work Leadership in Health Care. She has previously held leadership, clinical, administrative, supervisory, research, and publication positions at a FQHC; in private practice; at an in-patient psychiatric hospital; and at a residential program for OCD.
- MD: This activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the accreditation requirements and policies of the Iowa Medical Society (IMS) through the joint providership of Des Moines University (DMU) and the Iowa Department of Public Health. DMU designates this live, online activity for 4.25 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
- DO: Des Moines University (DMU) is accredited by the American Osteopathic Association (AOA) to provide osteopathic continuing medical education for physicians. DMU designates this program for a maximum of 4.25 AOA Category 2-A credits and will report CME and specialty credits commensurate with the extent of the physician’s participation in this activity.
- Nurse: Des Moines University is Iowa Board of Nursing approved provider #112. This live activity has been reviewed and approved for 4.25 continuing education contact hour(s). No partial credit awarded.
- Other healthcare providers: This live activity is designated for 4.25 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™.
No commercial interest provided financial support for this continuing education activity.
The speaker(s) will disclose if any pharmaceuticals or medical procedures and devices discussed are investigational or unapproved for use by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Determination of educational content and the selection of speakers is the responsibility of the activity director. Firms providing financial support did not have input in these areas.
Relevant to the content of this educational activity, the following individual(s) have no conflict(s) with commercial interest companies to disclose.
- Sarah Vannice, MSc - Activity Director
- Kayla Sankey, MPH - Activity Coordinator
- Jennifer Robertson-Hill, LMHC - Planning Committee Member
- Gagandeep Lamba, MA, MS, MBA - Planning Committee Member
- Kim Murray - Planning Committee Member
- Laura Leone, DSW, MSSW, LMSW - Speaker
The information provided at this activity is for continuing education purposes only and is not meant to substitute for the independent medical judgment of a healthcare provider relative to diagnostic and treatment options of a specific patient’s medical condition. The content of each presentation does not necessarily reflect the views of Des Moines University.
- 4.25 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™
- 4.25 AOA Category 2A
- 4.25 CE Contact Hour(s)
- 4.25 IBON