MercyOne Breast Cancer Symposium - Survivorship: Life After Breast Cancer
Once you're logged in, please select the "REGISTER" tab to process your payment and complete your registration.
MercyOne Comfort Health Center for Women employees attend for free. Please email Dr. Shirley Beaver to obtain the registration code to bring your balance to $0.
Every year, MercyOne Katzmann Breast Care and MercyOne Richard Deming Cancer Center present a Breast Cancer Symposium intended for all healthcare professionals and individuals interested in the care of patients and families following a diagnosis of breast cancer. The theme for 2022 is Survivorship: Life After Breast Cancer. Up-to-date information on breast cancer post-care and survivorship will be presented by providers active in caring for patients.
This program is intended for all health care professionals and individuals interested in the ongoing care and concerns of patients who have survived breast cancer. Breast cancer survivors are encouraged to attend.
- Discuss the physical, emotional, financial and philosophical issues breast cancer survivors face.
- Define metabolic syndrome and its impact on the care and treatment of breast cancer patients.
- Discuss surgical options for breast cancer patients during and after treatment.
- Discuss how relationships are impacted after a breast cancer diagnosis.
- Distinguish between the myths and truths of post cancer immunotherapy.
- List current programs that are available to address issues breast cancer survivors face.
Agenda is subject to change. All times listed are in Central Time.
Welcome/Brief Overview of Cancer Care at MercyOne
Susan Beck, DO, FACOS, Director, MercyOne Katzmann Breast Center
Oncology Plastic Surgery vs. Mastectomy
Samuel Maurice, MD, Plastic Surgeon, MercyOne Comfort Health Center for Women
Metabolic Syndrome Ramifications During and After Cancer Treatment
Dixie Harms, DNP, ARNP, FNP-C, FAANP, Patient Care Provider, MercyOne Comfort Health Center for Women
Survivorship Care: Reaching Above and Beyond
Richard Deming, MD, Director, MercyOne Cancer Center
Healing from the Collateral Damage of Breast Cancer
Kim Harms, BA, Writer and Speaker, Author of Life Reconstructed: A Girlfriend’s Guide to Mastectomies and Breast Reconstruction.
Post Cancer Immunotherapy: Fact and Fiction
Tara Graff, DO, Medical Oncologist, MercyOne Comfort Health Center for Women
|4:00 pm||Question and Answer Session|
Susan Beck, DO, FACOS
Richard Deming, MD
Tara Graff, DO
Dixie Harms, DNP, ARNP, FNOP-C, FAANP
Kim Harms, BA
Samuel Maurice, MD
- MD: This activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the accreditation requirements and policies of the Iowa Medical Society (IMS) through the joint providership of Des Moines University (DMU) and MercyOne Comfort Health Center for Women. DMU is accredited by IMS to provide continuing medical education for physicians. DMU designates this live activity for a maximum of 5.25 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™. Physicians should only claim credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
- DO: Des Moines University (DMU) is accredited by the American Osteopathic Association (AOA) to provide osteopathic continuing medical education for physicians. DMU designates this activity for a maximum of 5.25 AOA Category 2-A credits and will report CME and specialty credits commensurate with the extent of the physician’s participation in this activity.
- Nurse: Des Moines University is Iowa Board of Nursing approved provider #112. This live activity has been reviewed and approved for 5.25 continuing education contact hour(s). Nurses must attend the entire session within each day to receive credit. Partial session credit is prohibited and will be forfeited.
- Other Health Professionals: This live activity is designated for a maximum of 5.25 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™.
No ineligible company provided financial support for this continuing education activity.
The speaker(s) will disclose if any pharmaceuticals or medical procedures and devices discussed are investigational or unapproved for use by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Determination of educational content and the selection of speakers is the responsibility of the activity director.
Relevant to the content of this educational activity, the following individual(s) have no conflict(s) with ineligible companies to disclose:
- Shirley Beaver, PhD, RN, Activity Coordinator
- Susan Beck, DO, FACOS, Speaker
- Pamela Bricker, RN, Planning Committee Member
- Richard Deming, MD, Planning Committee Member and Speaker
- Tara Graff, DO, MS, Speaker
- Dixie Harms, DNP, ARNP, FNOP-C, FAANP, Speaker
- Kim Harms, Speaker
- Tracy Jurgensmeier, ARNP, Planning Committee Member
- Samuel Maurice, MD, Speaker
The information provided at this activity is for continuing education purposes only and is not meant to substitute for the independent medical judgment of a healthcare provider relative to diagnostic and treatment options of a specific patient’s medical condition. The content of each presentation does not necessarily reflect the views of Des Moines University.
- 5.25 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™
- 1.00 AOA Category 1A
- 5.25 AOA Category 2A
- 5.25 CE Contact Hour(s)
- 5.25 IBON
- All cancellations must be received in writing at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- A nonrefundable administrative fee of $10 will be charged for all cancellations.
- No refunds will be given three (3) business days before the activity start date.
- Canceled registrations can be transferred to another individual for the same activity.
- Individuals who fail to attend the activity (no-shows) will not receive any refund. Forfeited fees may not be applied to any other activity.