Master Medical Educator Series: Learning Objectives
Are you interested in exploring how to use your objectives to support student learning? In this session, we’ll engage in dialogue around the purpose and value of learning objectives, how they relate to assessment, and how students demonstrate their learning. We’ll work on clarifying objectives to ensure they reflect what you want students to learn. If you have learning objectives, please bring them to the workshop.
- Explain the educational purpose of learning objectives.
- Use what they know about their assessments to develop relevant objectives for a class.
- Critique and refine their learning objectives with their peers.
Alecia Gardner, MEd
Educational and Accommodations Specialist, Center for Teaching and Learning, Des Moines University
Brian Pinney, PhD
Educational Specialist, Center for Teaching and Learning, Des Moines University
Michelle Rogers-Johnson, PhD
Assessment Specialist, Center for Teaching and Learning, Des Moines University
Relevant to the content of this CME activity, the speakers indicated they have no financial relationships to disclose.
Des Moines University is located on a 22-acre campus in the heart of Des Moines, Iowa. Just west of downtown on Grand Avenue, the University is located in one of Des Moines’ most prestigious neighborhoods. The campus is in a historic neighborhood filled with tree-lined streets and gracious older homes and businesses. Its central location makes it easy to access the rest of the city and outlying communities. The campus is close to the Des Moines International Airport, located on the bus line and just blocks from local shopping and downtown Des Moines.
Continuing Education Credit
- DPM: Des Moines University (DMU) is approved by the Council on Podiatric Medical Education as a provider of continuing education in podiatric medicine. DMU has approved this activity for a maximum of 1.0 continuing education contact hours.
- DO: Des Moines University (DMU) is accredited by the American Osteopathic Association (AOA) to provide osteopathic continuing medical education for physicians. DMU designates this program for a maximum of 1.0 AOA Category 1-A credit and will report CME and specialty credits commensurate with the extent of the physician’s participation in this activity.
- MD: This activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the accreditation requirements and policies of the Iowa Medical Society (IMS). Des Moines University (DMU) is accredited by the IMS to provide continuing medical education for physicians. DMU designates this live activity for 1.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
- Other Professionals: This live activity is designated for 1.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™.
No commercial interest provided financial support for this continuing education activity.
- 1.00 AOA Category 1A
- 1.00 CPME
- 1.00 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™
- 1.00 CE Contact Hours