LGBTQ Health & Wellness Conference
Promoting Mental, Physical, Spiritual, & Social Health in the LGBTQ Community
All interested healthcare professionals.
Join us for the annual LGBTQ Health & Wellness Conference as we bring healthcare providers and LGBTQ community members together to connect and learn. This virtual conference allows healthcare providers to gain valuable knowledge about best practices for serving LGBTQ folks and have the chance to meet and build trust with LGBTQ individuals. LGBTQ community members have the chance to learn more about LGBTQ-inclusive healthcare resources in their area, gain system navigation knowledge, and develop relationships with healthcare providers.
- Describe barriers that LGBTQ Iowans face when attempting to access inclusive healthcare.
- Recognize the importance of spiritual, social, and mental health on the overall health of LGBTQ Iowans.
- Discuss the discrimination that LGBTQ Iowans face and how that discrimination impacts health outcomes and overall well-being.
- Generate three action items focused on LGBTQ inclusivity to utilize in practice.
All times are in Central Time. Agenda is subject to change.
LGBTQ Mental Health Best Practices
Nicole Holmberg, PhD, LP, Birchwood Wellness, LLC
LGBTQ-Affirming Sex Education
Elizabeth Wolfe, Planned Parenthood of the North Central States
LGBTQ Advisory Council Best Practices
Erica Barz, ACLU of Iowa
LGBTQ Doula Panel
Jen Leatherby, Jen Leatherby Art
HIV/COVID Repeated Triggers
Loren A. Olson, MD, UnityPoint Health Des Moines
LGBTQ Affirming Family Planning
Kay Switzer, Family Planning Council of Iowa
Working Lunch - Keynote Presentation: LGBTQ Healthcare Best Practices
Becky Johnson, ANRP, Primary Healthcare
LGBTQ Iowan Healthcare Needs
Elizabeth Baker, PhD, MPH, CPH, Des Moines University
Mutual Aid Panel Discussion
Max Mowitz, One Iowa
LGBTQ Pediatric Best Practices
Richard S. Robus, MD, UnityPoint Clinic
Closing Panel - Supporting LGBTQ Patients
Katie Chiaramonte, Love in the Face
Elizabeth Baker, PhD, MPH, CPH
Frieda Bequeaith, CLD, CSHE
Nicole Holmberg, PhD, LP
Becky Johnson, DNP, ARNP, AAHIVS
Loren A. Olson, MD
Richard S. Robus, MD
Breanna Young, JD
- MD: This activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the accreditation requirements and policies of the Iowa Medical Society (IMS) through the joint providership of Des Moines University (DMU) and One Iowa. DMU is accredited by IMS to provide continuing medical education for physicians. DMU designates this live activity for a maximum of 5.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™. Physicians should only claim credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
- DO: Des Moines University (DMU) is accredited by the American Osteopathic Association (AOA) to provide osteopathic continuing medical education for physicians. DMU designates this program for a maximum of 5.0 AOA Category 2-A credits and will report CME and specialty credits commensurate with the extent of the physician’s participation in this activity.
- Nurse: Des Moines University is Iowa Board of Nursing approved provider #112. This live activity has been reviewed and approved for 5.0 continuing education contact hour(s). Nurses must attend the entire session within each day to receive credit. Partial session credit is prohibited and will be forfeited.
- Other Health Professionals: This live activity is designated for a maximum of 5.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™.
No ineligible company provided financial support for this continuing education activity.
The speaker(s) will disclose if any pharmaceuticals or medical procedures and devices discussed are investigational or unapproved for use by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Determination of educational content and the selection of speakers is the responsibility of the activity director.
Relevant to the content of this educational activity, the following individual(s) have no conflict(s) with ineligible companies to disclose.
- Jo Allen - Speaker
- Elizabeth Baker, PhD, MPH, CPH - Planning committee member and speaker
- Erica Barz - Speaker
- Mindy Begenat - Speaker
- Frieda Bequeaith - Speaker
- Brett Burk - Speaker
- Katie Chiaramonte - Speaker
- Chelsea Chism-Vargas - Speaker
- Jasper Chung - Speaker
- Na’lLa Clarkson - Speaker
- Paxton Gillespie - Speaker
- Nicole Holmberg, PhD, LP - Speaker
- Becky Johnson, DNP, ARNP, AAHIVS - Speaker
- Ezra Krivolavy - Speaker
- Jennifer Leatherby - Speaker
- Jamie Malone - Speaker
- Malycki Manon-Sosa - Planning committee member and speaker
- Helena Mica, MA, MS - Planning committee member
- Max Mowitz - Activity director and speaker
- Dustin Nguyen - Planning committee member
- Loren A. Olson, MD - Speaker
- Sonia Reyes-Snyder - Speaker
- Richard S. Robus, MD - Speaker
- Zachary Rochester - Planning committee member
- Olivia Samples - Speaker
- Samantha Schmitz, MPH - Planning committee member
- Kay Switzer - Speaker
- Elizabeth Wolfe - Speaker
- Breanna Young, JD - Speaker
The information provided at this activity is for continuing education purposes only and is not meant to substitute for the independent medical judgment of a healthcare provider relative to diagnostic and treatment options of a specific patient’s medical condition. The content of each presentation does not necessarily reflect the views of Des Moines University.
- 5.00 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™
- 5.00 AOA Category 2A
- 5.00 CE Contact Hour(s)
- 5.00 IBON