8th Annual LGBTQ Health & Wellness Conference
Healthcare professionals and community members.
This conference is aimed at addressing the health inequities and disparities LGBTQ Iowans continue to experience in our state. Health care professionals and community members alike gather to hear from key experts, participate in interactive workshops, and collaborate and connect with one another. Attendees will gain the knowledge and skills necessary to cultivate safe and welcoming health care environments for LGBTQ Iowans throughout the state.
- Identify barriers that LGBTQ Iowans face when attempting to access inclusive health care.
- Recognize the importance of spiritual, social, and mental health on the overall health of LGBTQ Iowans.
- Describe discrimination that LGBTQ Iowans face and how that discrimination impacts health outcomes and overall well-being.
- Generate three action items focused on LGBTQ inclusivity to utilize in practice.
Welcome and Introductions
One Iowa's Work and LGBTQ Wellness Needs Across the State (LGBTQ 101)
Queer Health Advocates Program
|Legal Process 101|
Breanna Young, JD, Attorney, Davis Brown Law Firm
|Affirming Providers in Helping Fields|
Libby Fry, LMSW, Department of Social Work, University of Northern Iowa
Reproductive Justice and the Trans Community
|LGBTQ Policy Landscape|
Keenan Crow, MPP, Director of Policy and Advocacy, One Iowa
|Trans OB-GYN Best Practices|
Amy Bingaman, MD, OBGYN, UnityPoint Health
Spirituality, Community, and Wellness for LGBTQ People
|Harm Reduction, Chemsex, and the LGBTQ Community|
Sarah Ziegenhorn, Executive Director and Founder, Iowa Harm Reduction Coalition
|LGBTQ-Specific Mental Health Care Best Practices|
Caity Szalay, LISW, Social Worker, Full Circle Therapy
Closing Panel Discussion: LGBTQ Health Care Needs
Des Moines University is located on a 22-acre campus in the heart of Des Moines, Iowa. Just west of downtown on Grand Avenue, the University is located in one of Des Moines' most prestigious neighborhoods. The campus is in a historic neighborhood filled with tree-lined streets and gracious older homes and businesses. Its central location makes it easy to access the rest of the city and outlying communities. The campus is close to the Des Moines International Airport, located on the bus line and just blocks from local shopping and downtown Des Moines.
Frieda Bequeaith, CLD, CSHE
Amy Bingaman, MD
Keenan Crow, MPP
Libby Fry, LMSW
Olivia Samples, CD, CLC
Caity Szalay, LISW
Breanna Young, JD
Emily E. Ewing, Rev.
- DO: Des Moines University (DMU) is accredited by the American Osteopathic Association (AOA) to provide osteopathic continuing medical education for physicians. DMU designates this program for a maximum of 5.0 AOA Category 2-A credits and will report CME and specialty credits commensurate with the extent of the physician’s participation in this activity.
- MD: This activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the accreditation requirements and policies of the Iowa Medical Society (IMS). Des Moines University (DMU) is accredited by the IMS to provide continuing medical education for physicians. DMU designates this live activity for 5.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
- Nurse: Des Moines University is Iowa Board of Nursing approved provider #112. This live activity has been reviewed and approved for 5.0 continuing education contact hour(s). No partial credit awarded.
- Other Healthcare Professionals: This live activity is designated for 5.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™.
No commercial interest company provided financial support for this continuing education activity.
The speaker(s) will disclose if any pharmaceuticals or medical procedures and devices discussed are investigational or unapproved for use by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Determination of educational content and the selection of speakers is the responsibility of the activity director.
Relevant to the content of this educational activity, the following individuals have no conflicts of interest with commercial interest companies to disclose.
- Libby Fry, LMSW, Speaker
- Elizabeth Baker, PhD, Planning Committee
- Helena Mica, MS, MA, Planning Committee
- Tyler Rutherford, DO'22, Planning Committee
- Rich Salas, PhD, Planning Committee
- Max Mowitz, Planning Committee and Speaker
- Frieda Bequeaith, CLD, CSHE, Speaker
- Breanna Young, JD, Speaker
- Amy Bingaman, MD, Speaker
- Storm O'Brink, Speaker
- Caity Szalay, LMSW, Speaker
- Sarah Ziegenhorn, Speaker
- Lindsay Ladd, Speaker
- Elizabeth Medina, Speaker
- Kimmie Andresen-Reed, Speaker
- Olivia Samples, CD, CLC, Speaker
- Keenan Crow, MPP, Speaker
- Emily Ewing, Rev., Speaker
The information provided at this activity is for continuing education purposes only and is not meant to substitute for the independent medical judgment of a healthcare provider relative to diagnostic and treatment options of a specific patient’s medical condition. The content of each presentation does not necessarily reflect the views of Des Moines University.
- 5.00 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™
- 5.00 AOA Category 2A
- 5.00 CE Contact Hour(s)
- 5.00 IBON