7th Annual LGBTQ Health & Wellness Conference: Intersectionality As a Framework
Click here to register. (Coming Soon)
Healthcare professionals and community members.
This conference is aimed at addressing the health inequities and disparities LGBTQ Iowans continue to experience in our state. Health care professionals and community members alike gather to hear from key experts, participate in interactive workshops, and collaborate and connect with one another. Attendees will gain the knowledge and skills necessary to cultivate safe and welcoming health care environments for LGBTQ Iowans throughout the state.
|8 am||Registration and Light Breakfast|
Opening Keynote Address: Cultural Trauma in the LGBTQ Community
|10:30 am||Breakout 1: UnityPoint LGBTQ Clinic||Breakout 2: LGBTQ Data in Iowa ||Breakout 3: LGBTQ 101|
|12:30 pm||Breakout 1: Mental Health Panel||Breakout 2: Sexual Assault and the LGBTQ Community||Breakout 3: LGBTQ 201|
|1:45 pm||Breakout 1: Cannibis Program in Iowa||Breakout 2: Disability and the LGBTQ Community||Breakout 3: Transgender and Non-Binary 101|
Ending Keynote: Medicaid Ban on Gender-Affirming Surgery Case Update
Policy Overview in Iowa
Rita Bettis Austen, JD
Legal Director, ACLU of Iowa
- Doctor of Law: University of Iowa College of Law
- Public Interest Law Award
- Philip G. Hubbard Human Rights Award
- Kenneth Cmiel Award
- Note, The Iraqi Refugee Crisis, 19 Transnat'l L. & Contemp. Probs. 262
- Co-President, Law Students for Reproductive Justice
- Treasurer, Iowa Campaign For Human Rights
- Faculty Award for Academic Excellence
- Bachelor: University of Iowa
- Classics, English, Political Science, Ancient Civilizations
Joby Holcomb, LMHC, CADC, Licensed Mental Health Counselor and Certified Drug and Alcohol Counselor, received his Master’s degree from Drake University in Des Moines, Iowa. Joby has worked with children, adolescents, adults, couples and families in a variety of settings including Psychiatric Medical Institutes for Children, outpatient substance abuse treatment and private practice mental health. In 2016, Joby and two of his colleagues opened Synergy Clinical Services, an outpatient mental health and psychiatric clinic that specializes in working with the LGBTQ community. Joby currently serves on the board of directors for One Iowa, is a member of the LGBT Advisory Council for the Des Moines Civil and Human Rights Coalition and participates on an advisory board for New Beginnings Counseling Service. Joby has conducted multiple trainings statewide for the Eychaner Foundation, One Iowa, Iowa Safe Schools, the Iowa Mental Health Counselors Association and various schools on topics and issues impacting the LGBTQ community.
Relevant to the content of this educational activity, the following individuals have no conflict of interests with commercial interests to disclose.
Des Moines University is located on a 22-acre campus in the heart of Des Moines, Iowa. Just west of downtown on Grand Avenue, the University is located in one of Des Moines' most prestigious neighborhoods. The campus is in a historic neighborhood filled with tree-lined streets and gracious older homes and businesses. Its central location makes it easy to access the rest of the city and outlying communities. The campus is close to the Des Moines International Airport, located on the bus line and just blocks from local shopping and downtown Des Moines.
Continuing Education Credit
- MD: This activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the accreditation requirements and policies of the Iowa Medical Society (IMS) through the joint providership of Des Moines University (DMU) and OneIowa. DMU is accredited by IMS to provide continuing medical education for physicians. DMU designates this live activity for a maximum of X.X AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™. Physicians should only claim credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
- DO: Des Moines University (DMU) is accredited by the American Osteopathic Association (AOA) to provide osteopathic continuing medical education for physicians. DMU designates this program for a maximum of X.X AOA Category 2-A credits and will report CME and specialty credits commensurate with the extent of the physician’s participation in this activity.
- Nurse: Des Moines University is Iowa Board of Nursing approved provider #112. This live activity has been reviewed and approved for X.X continuing education contact hour(s). No partial credit awarded.
- Other Health Professionals: This live activity is designated for a maximum of X.X AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™.
No commercial interest company provided financial support for this continuing education activity.
Everyone in a position to control the content of this educational activity will disclose to the CME provider and to attendees all relevant financial relationships with any commercial interest. They will also disclose if any pharmaceuticals or medical procedures and devices discussed are investigational or unapproved for use by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Determination of educational content and the selection of speakers is the responsibility of the activity director. Firms providing financial support did not have input in these areas. The information provided at this CME activity is for continuing education purposes only and is not meant to substitute for the independent medical judgment of a healthcare provider relative to diagnostic and treatment options of a specific patient’s medical condition. The content of each presentation does not necessarily reflect the views of Des Moines University.