Mental Health Issues in Long Term Care
The goal of this symposium is to help long-term care clinicians become more proficient in meeting the needs of the mentally ill residents in their facilities.
- Determine length of psychiatric medication treatment based on available evidence.
- Assist family members of residents who suffer from dementia and psychiatric disorders.
- Review the basic components of motivational interviewing.
- Meet the needs of residents in long-term care who have personality disorders.
|8 am||Registration and Breakfast|
How Long Should Patients Stay on Psychiatric Medication?
Working Effectively with Residents and Family Members in Long Term Care
An Introduction to Motivational Interviewing
Personality Disorders in Long Term Care
Multidisciplinary Panel Discussion
|3:10 pm||Group Activity|
Relevant to the content of this educational activity, the following individual(s) do not have any financial relationship(s) with commercial interests to disclose.
- Jilisa Bollhoefer, Planning Committee Member
- Ed Bulver, LISW, Speaker
- Penny Cultler-Bermudez, Speaker
- Michael Flaum, MD, Speaker
- Allison Hahn, PsyD, Speaker
- Kyle S. Page, PhD, ABPP, Speaker
- Melissa Sienknecht, Planning Committee Member
- Douglas Steenblock, MD, Activity Director and Speaker
Special thanks to our partners who help make this conference possible.
Continuing Education Credit
- MD: This activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the accreditation requirements and policies of the Iowa Medical Society (IMS) through the joint providership of Des Moines University (DMU) and Iowa Veterans Home. DMU is accredited by IMS to provide continuing medical education for physicians. DMU designates this live activity for a maximum of 6.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™. Physicians should only claim credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
- DO: Des Moines University (DMU) is accredited by the American Osteopathic Association (AOA) to provide osteopathic continuing medical education for physicians. DMU designates this program for a maximum of 6.0 AOA Category 2-A credits and will report CME and specialty credits commensurate with the extent of the physician’s participation in this activity.
- Nurse: Des Moines University is Iowa Board of Nursing approved provider #112. This live activity has been reviewed and approved for 6.0 continuing education contact hour(s). No partial credit awarded.
- Other Health Professionals: This live activity is designated for a maximum of 6.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™.
No commercial interest company provided financial support for this continuing education activity.
Everyone in a position to control the content of this educational activity will disclose to the CME provider and to attendees all relevant financial relationships with any commercial interest. They will also disclose if any pharmaceuticals or medical procedures and devices discussed are investigational or unapproved for use by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Determination of educational content and the selection of speakers is the responsibility of the activity director. Firms providing financial support did not have input in these areas. The information provided at this CME activity is for continuing education purposes only and is not meant to substitute for the independent medical judgment of a healthcare provider relative to diagnostic and treatment options of a specific patient’s medical condition. The content of each presentation does not necessarily reflect the views of Des Moines University.
- 6.00 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™
- 6.00 AOA Category 2A
- 6.00 CE Contact Hour(s)
- 6.00 IBON
- All cancellations must be received in writing at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- A nonrefundable administrative fee of $20 will be charged for all cancellations.
- No refunds will be given three (3) business days prior to the activity start date.
- Cancelled registrations can be transferred to another individual for the same activity.
- Individuals who fail to attend the activity (no-shows) will not receive any refund. Forfeited fees may not be applied to any other activity.