HPV 101 and Announcement Approach for Recommending HPV Vaccination
Email Katie Jones, MPH with questions.
This CME activity will address the practice gap of providers not implementing the “announcement approach” to increase HPV vaccination. The announcement approach is an evidence-based approach to increase HPV vaccination.
Many providers currently say to their adolescent patients due for vaccination a phrase like “Molly needs two required vaccines today. The HPV vaccine is optional and could be done later.” Here is an example of the announcement approach: “Molly needs three vaccines today to protect against meningitis, HPV cancers, and whooping cough. She will get those at the end of the visit.”
- Explain the importance of HPV vaccination for adolescents for HPV and cancer prevention.
- Implement the announcement approach to increase HPV vaccination rates in their practice.
Timothy McCoy, DO
Family Medicine Specialist, MercyOne South Des Moines Family Medicine & Urgent Care Clinic, Des Moines, IA
Dr. McCoy has over 25 years of experience in the medical field. He graduated from Des Moines University College Of Osteopathic Medicine.
- DO: Des Moines University (DMU) is accredited by the American Osteopathic Association (AOA) to provide osteopathic continuing medical education for physicians. DMU designates this program for a maximum of 1.0 AOA Category 1-A credits and will report CME and specialty credits commensurate with the extent of the physician’s participation in this activity.
- MD: This activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the accreditation requirements and policies of the Iowa Medical Society (IMS) through the joint providership of Des Moines University (DMU) and the Iowa Department of Public Health. DMU is accredited by IMS to provide continuing medical education for physicians. DMU designates this live activity for a maximum of 1.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)TM. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
- Nurse: Des Moines University is Iowa Board of Nursing approved provider #112. This live activity has been reviewed and approved for 1.0 continuing education contact hour(s). No partial credit awarded.
- Other healthcare professionals: This live activity is designated for 1.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)TM.
No commercial interest provided financial support for this continuing education activity.
The speaker(s) will disclose if any pharmaceuticals or medical procedures and devices discussed are investigational or unapproved for use by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Determination of educational content and the selection of speakers is the responsibility of the activity director.
Relevant to the content of this educational activity, the following individuals do not have any relationships with commercial interest companies to disclose.
- Katie Jones, MPH, activity director
- Timothy McCoy, DO, speaker
The information provided at this activity is for continuing education purposes only and is not meant to substitute for the independent medical judgment of a healthcare provider relative to diagnostic and treatment options of a specific patient’s medical condition. The content of each presentation does not necessarily reflect the views of Des Moines University.
- 1.00 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™
- 1.00 AOA Category 1A
- 1.00 CE Contact Hour(s)
- 1.00 IBON