8th Annual Global Health Conference: The Social Determinants of Health
All Other Attendees
|Agenda||Student Poster Sessions||Submit Poster Abstract|
|Parking at Drake||Sponsors||Questions|
Students, faculty and staff from Heartland Global Health Consortium (HGHC) member schools (Central College, Des Moines University, Drake University, Grinnell College, Iowa State University, Mercy College of Health Sciences, Simpson College, University of Iowa, University of Northern Iowa and William Penn University) and community members are also invited to attend.
We are excited to announce the Heartland Global Health Conference will be offering a poster session and all students attending are invited to participate. Our conference theme for this year is “The Social Determinants of Health”; however, poster topics are not limited to the conference theme. Students may present on any topic, experience, or research in the field of global health. The deadline to register your poster is Wednesday, September 28.
Submit your poster abstract.
View an abstract example.
Poster session participants will compete among their undergraduate and graduate student peers. Within these two groups, participants will have the opportunity to win a cash prize. Posters will be judged on the following criteria:
- Visual/Technical – Title, author(s), affiliation, and contact information. Poster design logical and easy to follow with appropriate visuals (methods, results, etc.) text easy to read, understand and free of errors, and graphics clearly contribute to the overall presentation. Good use of the space of the poster with section on introduction, methods, results, discussion, conclusion and relevance of the research in the field of study.
- Content (original research) – Research topic clearly described with adequate introduction and a clear hypothesis. Work demonstrates clear focus and well developed materials and methods. Analysis of data comprehensive and discussion appropriate to findings. Conclusion supported by findings and linked to relevance in the field of study.
- Content (literature review/experience) – Work includes background that leads to reason for the literature review/experience. Work demonstrates clear focus, well developed and comprehensive review of literature/experience. Literature/experience review provides valuable addition or insight and linked to relevance in the field of study.
- Presenter(s) – Able to communicate in-depth technical information in an easy-to-understand manner, able to interpret the data properly, and clearly answer questions related to project, recognize limitations of the project’s procedures. Courteous and professional.
Posters should be no more than 5′ wide and 4′ high. Materials to hang your poster will be available onsite. On the day of the program, posters must be displayed by 9 am and removed by 3:30 pm.
General Information About Poster Construction
The poster session will provide attendees the opportunity to learn more about a research project, and personalize their learning experience by speaking one-on-one with the student creators of posters that capture their attention. The following web site serves as a great resource on how to create an effective poster – http://ncsu.edu/project/posters/.
Non-Drake participants are able to use the Olmsted Visitor Parking Lot (located north off University Avenue between 28th and 29th Streets). Please arrive by 9 am and let the security person know that you are attending the HGHC Conference. There also is parking on nearby streets.
- Heartland Global Health Consortium
- Central College (HGHC Host Institution)
- The Principal Financial Group Center for Global Citizenship at Drake University (Conference Host)
- HGHC member institutions: Central College, Des Moines University, Drake University, Grinnell College, Iowa State University, Mercy College of Health Sciences, Simpson College, University of Iowa, William Penn University.
Conference Committee Chair
David Skidmore, PhD
Professor, Department of Politics and International Relations, Drake University
Administrative Assistant, Drake International
- 3.75 CE Contact Hour(s)