All interested health professionals.
- Construct a mindset of how and why autoimmunity develops.
- Identify ways to prevent and manage autoimmunity.
Lori Miller, DO
The Livewell Clinic, Clive, IA
Prior to joining The Livewell Clinic in December 2015, Dr. Miller was employed by Unity Point Clinics for 15 years. She served the community of Norwalk and surrounding areas as a Family Medicine provider.
She graduated from the University of Iowa with an undergraduate degree in Psychology. As a 21 year old, ready to leave Iowa winters, she ventured to the University of North Texas Health Science Center in Fort Worth Texas where she received her degree of Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine. After getting married and having her first child, she felt a tug at her heart to “go home”. It was then she was accepted to the Iowa Lutheran Family Medicine Program in Des Moines Iowa. The Iowa Health system built a clinic in Norwalk for Dr. Miller and her partner to start. She stayed there 15 years watching families grow without a single regret.
Having received an Osteopathic training, she was always more “open minded” than her MD peers. Though she did not perform osteopathic manipulation, she eagerly encouraged her patients to pursue non- traditional therapies such as manual manipulation by chiropractors or osteopaths, acupuncture and many others. Through some of her own soul searching, education and investigation, she was exposed to the world of Functional Medicine.
In 2013 she received her designation as Fellow of Functional Medicine from the Metabolic Institute (formerly A4M) offered through the University of South Florida. After several years of trying to incorporate functional medicine concepts into her existing practice, she finally decided to leave that thriving practice in order to pursue her passion in Functional Medicine full time. It is through Functional Medicine that she hopes to help people take control of their own lives; to branch away from the world of pharmaceuticals, and to be empowered to be in charge of our health.
Relevant to the content of this CME activity, Dr. Miller has no financial relationships with commercial interests to disclose.
Des Moines University is located on a 22-acre campus in the heart of Des Moines, Iowa. Just west of downtown on Grand Avenue, the University is located in one of Des Moines’ most prestigious neighborhoods. The campus is in a historic neighborhood filled with tree-lined streets and gracious older homes and businesses. Its central location makes it easy to access the rest of the city and outlying communities. The campus is close to the Des Moines International Airport, located on the bus line and just blocks from local shopping and downtown Des Moines.
Continuing Education Credit
- MD: This activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the accreditation requirements and policies of the Iowa Medical Society (IMS) through the joint providership of Des Moines University (DMU) and Central Iowa Functional Medicine. DMU is accredited by IMS to provide continuing medical education for physicians. DMU designates this live activity for a maximum of 1.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)TM. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
- DO: Des Moines University (DMU) is accredited by the American Osteopathic Association (AOA) to provide osteopathic continuing medical education for physicians. DMU designates this program for a maximum of 1.0 AOA Category 1-A credits and will report CME and specialty credits commensurate with the extent of the physician’s participation in this activity.
- Nurse: Des Moines University is Iowa Board of Nursing approved provider #112. This live activity has been reviewed and approved for 1.0 continuing education contact hour(s). No partial credit awarded.
- Other Healthcare Professionals: This live activity is designated for 1.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™.
No commercial interest provided financial support for this continuing education activity.
- 1.00 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™
- 1.00 AOA Category 1A
- 1.00 CE Contact Hour(s)
- 1.00 IBON