The One with Treatment Resistant Bipolar Disorder
Primary care physicians, nurses, mental health professionals, substance use disorder professionals, or any clinic staff who support behavioral health services.
- Describe diagnostic criteria for Bipolar I Disorder.
- Identify three alternatives to lithium for Bipolar I Disorder in the geriatric patient population.
- Identify side effects to commonly prescribed mood stabilizing medications.
- Employ strategies for mood stabilization in the geriatric patient population.
Case presentations are the core of every ECHO session. Each participant who chooses to present will gain access to unique feedback and questions from a wide range of peers and experts in an all-teach, all-learn modality during each ECHO session. The ECHO session facilitator will moderate the case presentation and discussion portion of every session to ensure all participants have a chance to engage in peer-to-peer learning.
Iowa is designated as a Health Professional Shortage Area especially for treatment and management of behavioral health disorders. The Behavioral Health ECHO program supports primary care providers in assessing and managing substance use and mental health disorders. The learning series will utilize the ECHO Model to train and support primary care team members, behavioral health professionals, and case managers in the treatment and management of substance use disorders, psychiatric illnesses, and associated co-morbidities, with the goal to help enhance integrated care in identifying and treating these concerns in their patients.
This will be done by disseminating evidence-based best practice care to improve patient outcomes in the form of didactic instruction and case discussions to enhance learning and improve quality of care opportunities.
Janice Landy, MD
Dr. Landy joined UnityPoint Health in July 2018 as the Medical Director for Behavioral Health Services in the central region. She practices inpatient psychiatry at Iowa Lutheran Hospital and also sees patients in the Unitypoint Behavioral Health Urgent Care in Des Moines. She supervises residents in the Broadlawns-Unity Point psychiatry residency program, and also supervises advanced practice providers at Unity Point, and Eyerly Ball Community Mental Health Center.
- MD: This activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the accreditation requirements and policies of the Iowa Medical Society (IMS) through the joint providership of Des Moines University (DMU) and the Iowa Primary Care Association. DMU is accredited by IMS to provide continuing medical education for physicians. DMU designates this live, online activity for a maximum of 1.5 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™. Physicians should only claim credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
- DO: Des Moines University (DMU) is accredited by the American Osteopathic Association (AOA) to provide osteopathic continuing medical education for physicians. DMU designates this activity for a maximum of 1.5 AOA Category 2-A credits and will report CME and specialty credits commensurate with the extent of the physician’s participation in this activity.
- Nurse: Des Moines University is Iowa Board of Nursing approved provider #112. This live activity has been reviewed and approved for 1.5 continuing education contact hour(s). No partial credit awarded.
- Other Healthcare Professionals: This live activity is designated for a maximum of 1.5 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™.
No ineligible company provided financial support for this continuing education activity.
The planning committee member(s) and speaker(s) will disclose if any pharmaceuticals or medical procedures and devices discussed are investigational or unapproved for use by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Determination of educational content and the selection of speakers is the responsibility of the activity director.
Relevant to the content of this educational activity, the following individual(s) have no conflict(s) with ineligible companies to disclose.
- Julie Baker, MPA, CHCEF - Planning Coordinator and Moderator
- Kristi Barslou - Activity Coordinator
- Bery Engebretsen, MD - Planning Committee Member
- Nicolas Foss, MS, IADC, BACC, ICGC-II - Planning Committee Member
- Nicole Gastala, MD - Planning Committee Member
- Gagandeep Lamba, MA, MS, MBA - Planning Coordinator and Moderator
- Danielle O’Brien, CRC - Planning Committee Member
Relevant to the content of this educational activity, the following individual(s) have a conflict(s) with ineligible companies to disclose. All relevant financial relationships have been mitigated.
- Janice Landy, MD - Planning Committee Member and Speaker, Intends to discuss the off-label use of products
- Andrea Storjohann MSN, ARNP, PMHNP-BC, CADC - Planning Committee Member, Intends to discuss the off-label use of products
The information provided at this activity is for continuing education purposes only and is not meant to substitute for the independent medical judgment of a healthcare provider relative to diagnostic and treatment options of a specific patient’s medical condition. The content of each presentation does not necessarily reflect the views of Des Moines University.
- 1.50 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™
- 1.50 AOA Category 2A
- 1.50 CE Contact Hour(s)
- 1.50 IBON