Trans and Cis: A Conversation on Caring for the LGBT+ Community
Two attendance options:
DMU faculty, staff, students, residents, and the medical community.
This presentation will help providers and healthcare workers understand the LGBT+ community they may be working with and providing services for. By developing an understanding of unique LGBT+ needs, and relating to their personal experiences, providers will be able to provide culturally competent care to all the patients and clients we may serve.
- Differentiate between sexual orientation and gender identity and the spectrums they encompass.
- Develop an understanding of the LGBT+ community and their unique health care needs.
- Consider why LGBT+ patients may avoid, underutilize, and delay medical care.
- Discuss how to make the medical environment more welcoming and inclusive.
Des Moines University is located on a 22-acre campus in the heart of Des Moines, Iowa. Just west of downtown on Grand Avenue, the University is located in one of Des Moines' most prestigious neighborhoods. The campus is in a historic neighborhood filled with tree-lined streets and gracious older homes and businesses. Its central location makes it easy to access the rest of the city and outlying communities. The campus is close to the Des Moines International Airport, located on the bus line and just blocks from local shopping and downtown Des Moines.
Molly A. Uhlenhake, DO
Dr. Uhlenhake is an Assistant Professor of Internal Medicine and Pediatrics at The University of Missouri-Kansas City School of Medicine. She also works at the Truman Medical Center and Children's Mercy Hospital in Kansas City Missouri. Dr. Uhlenhake is a DMU alumna graduating from the College of Osteopathic Medicine. Her residency was at The University of Missouri, Kansas City in Internal Medicine and Pediatrics. Her specialties and research interests include adolescent medicine, underserved populations, immigrant health, patient center medical home, and patient advocacy.
Kim Tilson, BSN, RN
Nurse Care Manager, Truman Medical Center, Kansas City, MO
Ms. Tilson is a Nurse Care Manager at the Truman Medical Center in Kansas City, MO. Kim has provided training for over 1600 individuals over 29 separate presentations in the last 16 months. She has developed and chaired multiple LGBTQ related health conferences and developed multiple programs for the LGBTQ community. She works not only in the healthcare community but also in the local LGBTQ community. As a registered nurse and a transwoman she brings perspectives to make this topic more personal and the community easier to relate to, allowing better care of our patients and clients.
Relevant to the content of this educational activity, the speakers indicate they have no financial relationships with commercial interest companies to disclose.
Continuing Education Credit
- MD: This activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the accreditation requirements and policies of the Iowa Medical Society (IMS). Des Moines University (DMU) is accredited by the IMS to provide continuing medical education for physicians. DMU designates this live activity for 1.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
- DO: Des Moines University (DMU) is accredited by the American Osteopathic Association (AOA) to provide osteopathic continuing medical education for physicians. DMU designates this program for a maximum of 1.0 AOA Category 1-A credits and will report CME and specialty credits commensurate with the extent of the physician’s participation in this activity.
- DPM: Des Moines University (DMU) is approved by the Council on Podiatric Medical Education as a provider of continuing education in podiatric medicine. DMU has approved this live activity for a maximum of 1.0 continuing education contact hour(s).
- Nurse: Des Moines University is Iowa Board of Nursing approved provider #112. This live activity has been reviewed and approved for 1.0 continuing education contact hour(s). No partial credit awarded.
- Other healthcare providers: This live activity is designated for 1.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™.
No commercial interest provided financial support for this continuing education activity.
Everyone in a position to control the content of this educational activity will disclose to the CME provider and to attendees all relevant financial relationships with any commercial interest. They will also disclose if any pharmaceuticals or medical procedures and devices discussed are investigational or unapproved for use by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Determination of educational content and the selection of speakers is the responsibility of the activity director. Firms providing financial support did not have input in these areas. The information provided at this CME activity is for continuing education purposes only and is not meant to substitute for the independent medical judgment of a healthcare provider relative to diagnostic and treatment options of a specific patient’s medical condition. The content of each presentation does not necessarily reflect the views of Des Moines University.
- 1.00 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™
- 1.00 AOA Category 1A
- 1.00 CE Contact Hour(s)
- 1.00 CPME
- 1.00 IBON