Do the (Copy)Right Thing: Basic Copyright for Faculty
Once you're logged in, please click on the "ENTER" button to your right. Your attendance will then be confirmed.
This course is part of the Des Moines University Library Nerdfest Series.
Knowing when and how to use copyrighted materials in teaching materials can sometimes be challenging. Never fear! The DMU library is will help you learn how to quickly and easily do the (copy)right thing.
By the end of class participants will be able to independently explain key concepts and/or perform the following skills as indicated by the observation of the instructor and student’s self-assessment:
- Utlilize of copyright information sources and tools that are provided to the campus community
- Apply the four factors of fair use to an example situation
- Repeat the pocess for requesting use from copyright owner if necessary
- Clearly communicate to students regarding permitted uses of faculty-created course materials in slide stacks, syllabi, and other teaching materials
- Identify library databases that offer copyright compliant graphics, and how to download and embed them into teaching materials
Natalie Hutchinson, MSLIS
Director, Library, Des Moines University
Relevant to the content of this educational activity, Ms. Hutchinson indicated she has no financial relationships with commercial interest companies to disclose.
Des Moines University is located on a 22-acre campus in the heart of Des Moines, Iowa. Just west of downtown on Grand Avenue, the University is located in one of Des Moines' most prestigious neighborhoods. The campus is in a historic neighborhood filled with tree-lined streets and gracious older homes and businesses. Its central location makes it easy to access the rest of the city and outlying communities. The campus is close to the Des Moines International Airport, located on the bus line and just blocks from local shopping and downtown Des Moines.
Continuing Education Credit
- DPM: Des Moines University (DMU) is approved by the Council on Podiatric Medical Education as a provider of continuing education in podiatric medicine. DMU has approved this activity for a maximum of 1.0 continuing education contact hours.
- DO: Des Moines University (DMU) is accredited by the American Osteopathic Association (AOA) to provide osteopathic continuing medical education for physicians. DMU designates this program for a maximum of 1.0 AOA Category 1-A credits and will report CME and specialty credits commensurate with the extent of the physician’s participation in this activity.
- MD: This activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the accreditation requirements and policies of the Iowa Medical Society (IMS). Des Moines University (DMU) is accredited by the IMS to provide continuing medical education for physicians. DMU designates this live activity for 1.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
- Other Healthcare Professionals: This live activity is designated for 1.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™.
No commercial interest company provided financial support for this continuing education activity.
Everyone in a position to control the content of this educational activity will disclose to the CME provider and to attendees all relevant financial relationships with any commercial interest. They will also disclose if any pharmaceuticals or medical procedures and devices discussed are investigational or unapproved for use by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Determination of educational content and the selection of speakers is the responsibility of the activity director. Firms providing financial support did not have input in these areas. The information provided at this CME activity is for continuing education purposes only and is not meant to substitute for the independent medical judgment of a healthcare provider relative to diagnostic and treatment options of a specific patient’s medical condition. The content of each presentation does not necessarily reflect the views of Des Moines University.
- 1.00 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™
- 1.00 AOA Category 1A
- 1.00 CE Contact Hour(s)
- 1.00 CPME